[sustran] FW: Quick Online Discussion on Future Urban Issues

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Fri Nov 9 18:04:53 JST 2001

Apologies For Cross Postings

The United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (Habitat) invites you
to participate in a Quick Online Discussion on fundamental issues
affecting cities and overall national development, to be held from
12 - 16 November 2001.

UNCHS (Habitat) believes that fundamental structural changes will
determine the sustainability of not only cities, but of national
development efforts.

The discussion is intended to evoke responses from fresh
perspectives -- by people from a wide variety of disciplines -- to
encourage conceptual thinking that may shed critical light on
conventional knowledge. Participation in the discussion is,
therefore, not restricted to urban experts, but also open to
journalists, cross-disciplinary thinkers, futurists, philosophers,
artists, writers and other interested persons. You are encouraged to
forward this message to others who can make worthwhile contributions.

Shortly before 12 November, we will email an introduction with a set
of three questions to all people who have registered. This will be
followed by two more sets of three questions. You can also preview
the introductions and questions at our website:

http://www.unchs.org/discussion

Registered participants will be sent, every day, a moderated
compilation of responses received to enable the discussion. You can
also view the entire discussion on the website. Since this is
designed as an interactive process, you are encouraged to comment on

UNCHS (Habitat) would like to call for your engagement as a global
citizen to help move the urban paradigm away from traditional formats
and ordinary content. The results will be used to guide the global
urban development strategies of UNCHS (Habitat) for the years to come.

Please let us know whether you will participate in the discussion by
registering at:

http://www.unchs.org/discussion

We are looking forward to your contributions.

Anna Tibaijuka
Executive Director
UNCHS (Habitat)