[sustran] Re: Recent overview article on Bogotá TransMilenio

Lake Sagaris sagaris at terra.cl
Wed Nov 7 22:23:33 JST 2001

Excellent article, Eric. We are trying to organize a seminar here in
Santiago next year to bring together representatives from TransMilenio and
the bike routes-bike days experience, with bus companies, municipal
planners and national transport people, so are looking for funding. This
experience is really dynamic, because they managed to cut through several
seemingly untouchable knots -- private bus ownership being one of them.

If anyone wants something in Spanish, I did an article for Tranvía on our
return from Bogotá last year.

http://www.cec.uchile.cl/~tranvivo/tranvia/tv12/

Best
Lake

At 11:52 AM 07/11/01 +0100, you wrote:
>We've been asked for more background on the Bogotá TransMilenio
>"SurfaceMetro" system.  Here's a good overview article on it by Oscar
>Edmundo Díaz, dated 27 Sept 2001
>
>*     *     *
>
>TRANSMILENIO: BOGOTA'S BUS RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM
>
>Bogotá, Colombia, under Enrique Peñalosa's administration initiated an
>ambitious mobility strategy to face its growing transportation problems
>caused by fast population growth and rapid increase in automobile usage.
>Measures included: promotion of non-motorized transportation, restriction of
>automobile use, and development of a bus rapid transit system: TransMilenio.
>
>TransMilenio encompasses four components:
>* Specialized infrastructure
>* Efficient operations
>* Advanced billeting
>* A new institution for planning, developing and controlling the system.
>Infrastructure, planning and control are provided by public institutions,
>while operations and billeting are contracted with private companies.
>
>TransMilenio's infrastructure includes exclusive corridors, roads for feeder
>buses, stations, and complementary facilities, with an average investment of
>US$ 5 million per kilometer.  Articulated buses use central lanes of
>existing streets, longitudinally segregated from the general traffic. The
>system is complemented with integrated feeder buses on local streets.
>
>Stations of the corridors are closed facilities, located in the median every
>500 meters on average.  They have from one to three berths and vary from 40
>meters to 180 meters in length. The system also includes pedestrian access
>infrastructure (sidewalks, plazas, overpasses), and bus maintenance and
>parking facilities.
>
>To maximize service supply, there are express and local service trunk lines.
>Express services stop at selected stations only, providing fast service to
>users and better fleet utilization, while local services stop in all the
>stations.  This combination allows the system to carry up to 45,000
>passengers per hour per direction.  Exclusive corridors are served by
>articulated diesel buses for 160 passengers each, whereas feeder lines are
>served with diesel buses up to 80 passengers each. Buses comply with strict
>operational and environmental requirements.
>
>System operation is carried out by private providers, with strict conditions
>set forth through concession contracts with centralized control.
>TransMilenio operators are  consortiums of traditional local transport
>companies, associated with national and international investors that own the
>buses and hire drivers and maintenance personnel.  Contracts were awarded
>through open bidding processes.  Payment is rendered based on kilometers
>served by each operator.
>
>The billeting system is also privately operated.  It includes production and
>distribution of smart cards, acquisition and installation of turnstiles and
> [...]

Aviso a todos / please take note of / un cambio en mi dirección electrónica
/ a change in my e-mail address to:
sagaris at terra.cl Gracias/Thanks.