[sustran] Re: Denver, Houten and Auckland

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Thu Nov 1 07:48:01 JST 2001

By competing, I wasnt talking about competing for funding, I was talking
about the direct cost per passenger kilometer of highway systems v. rail
systems. As for external costs, Hayek told us that prices can only be
determined by the market. The failure of planners to accurately set prices
was the most important reason communism failed (the second most important
had to do with Reagan and Thatcher). External costs and benefits need to be
considered, but I have a real problem with basing policy decisions on
artificial (and necessarily false and inaccurate) costing, which can also be
influenced by
politics and the bias of the researchers.

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA