[sustran] Travelling Faculty in Urban Studies (fwd)

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed May 23 03:39:45 JST 2001

I thought this jight just interest some of our group?

To: Members of the International Sociological Association

Travelling Faculty in Urban Studies
Cities of the 21st Century: People, Planning, and Politics
15 January- 6 May 2002

The International Honors program in cooperation with Bard
College (Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, USA) offers a series of
independent study abroad programs. We are currently seeking 3-4
individuals to join an interdisciplinary team of faculty and
host city coordinators for "Cities in the 21st Century", a four
month long course that will take 30 students from upper tier
liberal arts colleges and University to Mumbai, Johannesburg,
Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro and Curitiba.

The 2002 program begins in New York on January 15, 2002 and ends
in Washington, DC on May 6, 2002. The mission of the course is
to provide students with first hand familiarity with the
challenges of urbanization in the cities of the developing world
through a series of formal courses, home-stays, guest lectures
by local academics, politicians, and policy makers, site visits
and meetings with NGOs, neighbourhood organizations and
community activists.

The ideal candidate should:
a) have a MA or PhD in an urban social science and teaching
experience at the college level

b) be able to teach an introductory course in  urban planning,
urban anthropology, or urban ecology, and contribute to a
collaboratively-taught course on urban politics;

c) have research/consulting experience with urban issues in some
part of the developing world (specific experience in India,
south Africa, Brazil desired, but not required);

d) possess not only the appropriate technical skill sets, but
the sensibilities (flexibility, adaptability, collegiality,
cultural sensitivity, etc.) necessary for such an endeavour.

More information about IHP is available at http://www.ihp.edu
Electronic versions of all application materials are preferred.
Please send a letter of interest, along with vita and names of 3
academic references to: info at ihp.edu