[sustran] FW: [msia-plan-transp] CAP/SAM National Transport Seminar

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Fri May 11 10:56:37 JST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: niktahirah at yahoo.com [mailto:niktahirah at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, 11 May 2001 1:18
To: msia-plan-transp at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [msia-plan-transp] CAP/SAM National Transport Seminar

Dear Everyone,

NATIONAL SEMINAR ON SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT ISSUES AND CHALLENGES

I would like to inform you that the Consumers' Association of Penang
(CAP) and Friends of the Earth Malaysia (SAM) are organizing a
National Seminar on the theme Sustainable Transport Issues and
Challenges to be held from 7th to 11th of September 2001, in the
Regional Centre for Education in Science and Mathematics (RECSAM) in
Penang, Malaysia.

Given the current pace of development in Malaysia, we believe that a
national seminar on the aforementioned theme is necessary to strongly
influence policy and legislation on the issues concerned.

We hope to produce a resolution of sorts that will be used to push
for the creation of a National Transport Policy for Malaysia.

To get a balanced perspective of the problems and weaknesses plaguing
transport in Malaysia, we are assembling a meeting of government, non-
government, academia and general public for the seminar.

The Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia will be officiating the
seminar, and we have invited representatives from the 6 Ministries
involved in Transport Planning and Management in the country.

We have also invited NGOs like URU, SILA, AIG, STEP, TRG, and several
private consultants.

The seminar will discuss the following sub-themes,

1.      Land Use/Transport Planning
2.      Traffic Planning
3.      Public Transport
4.      Haulage
5.      Transport and the Environment
6.      The Economics of Transport
7.      Road Safety
8.      Accessibility - Disabled, Children, Elderly
9.      Women
10.      The Social Impacts of Transport
11.      Alternatives / Sustainable Transport

We welcome any comments, suggestions, ideas, criticisms and as such
from all members of the forum. Please feel free to suggest any issue
or topic that should be discussed in a seminar such as this.

We also welcome anyone interested to participate in the seminar.

Please forward any queries to

Nik Tahirah at niktahirah at yahoo.com, or at

Consumers' Association of Penang (CAP)
228, Jalan Macalister