[sustran] FW: CSE views on Delhi CNG public transport saga

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Wed May 2 09:50:52 JST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: webadmin at cseindia.org [mailto:webadmin at cseindia.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 1 May 2001 4:57
To: CSE-LIST at listserv.cseindia.org
Subject: What's new at CSE, India

A fortnightly electronic news bulletin from CSE, India to a network of
friends and professionals interested in environmental issues. We send
this to people who we believe are involved in sustainable development
initiatives. You are welcome to unzubscribe yourself, if you so choose,
just scroll down to the bottom of this page.

What's new at the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), New Delhi,
India.

THE DAY THE GOVERNMENT FAILED

Governance collapsed on April 1, 2001 as Delhi was abandoned to chaos
following the failure of the public transport system to switch to CNG in
accordance with the Supreme Court's orders. Even as politicians and
officials indulged in a slugging match the citizen suffered for the mess
they had created. Read more click the link below

http://www.cseindia.org/html/dte/dte20010430/dte_srep2.htm

.... other items snipped .....

A message from the Chairperson, Anil Agarwal:

SINHA'S TRICK

WHILE  all those orders of the Supreme Court (SC) directed towards the
corporate sector - public or private - have largely resulted in action,
orders to the government - state or central - have usually resulted in
total chaos. In April 1999, when the SC gave the auto industry just about
two months to move its engines to Euro I and about 11 months to move to
Euro II, the industry met the deadlines. Similarly, the petroleum
industry has repeatedly improved petrol and diesel quality as per SC
orders. The little improvement that we already see in air quality in
Delhi is partly because of this. In 1998, diesel contained as much as
10,000 parts per million (ppm) of sulphur but today it is down to 500
ppm. The key problem is that both the state and Central government had no
political will to implement the SC order on CNG.

Dealing with the order, made 31 months ago, was quite an easy task if
only a few key steps were taken. Firstly, as the matter involves the
Delhi government and the Petroleum, Surface Transport and Environment
ministries of the Central government, a coordination committee should
have been set up to ensure smooth implementation. Both Sheila Dikshit,
chief minister of the Delhi, and prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee
should have worked together to ensure that such a mechanism was
established. But each agency worked out of sync with the other.

Secondly, as the management of the process of conversion required
technical competence on auto emissions, technology and health effects and
as generalist bureaucrats have no understanding of these matters, a
technical team should have been put in place to advise the government. In
the absence of this advice, the Delhi government has remained
consistently confused and has allowed every vested interest to take it
for a ride. Both Lt Governor Vijai Kapoor and transport minister Pervez
Hashmi have repeatedly made statements questioning the viability of CNG
on the basis of some paper or the other sent to them by various interest
groups including anonymous sources. If such expertise was not available
within India, the Delhi government could have even obtained the services
of some foreign experts - just as it commissioned a British consultant to
prepare a study on industrial relocation with foreign aid. Even
environment minister T R Baalu could have set up such a technical
committee but did nothing of the sort. As a result, there has been
confusion galore. Delhi government's positions have been exactly the same
as those of auto majors who do not wish to see a changeover to CNG. While
Hashmi and Dikshit have repeatedly harped on CNG technology being
experimental in their public statements. On the other hand, on the day
Sheila Dikshit was in court, the government lawyer accepted that CNG
technology is not experimental and the government was committed to the
task.

Delhi government's confusion gave a clear signal that it was not serious
about the Court's order. Allowing thousands of diesel buses to come on to
the roads even weeks before the Supreme Court deadline shows that the
government never wanted to implement the order and fervently hoped that
the threat of a crisis, which it did everything in its ability to
precipitate, would force the Court to back down. Unfortunately, for the
Delhi government, the Court
did not.

The third critical issue was finance. It was clear from the start that
this transformation would need investments to be made by very small bus,
taxi and auto operators. Three steps could have been taken to help these
operators. Firstly, every effort should have been made to bring in as
many manufacturers and conversion agents in India and abroad so that
there was effective competition. But no advertisement was taken out in
international newspapers and rules were set in a way that companies could
not follow easily, thus ensuring that many companies could not
participate. The result is market monopoly and high prices.

Hashmi keeps harping that such a big effort to convert to CNG has not
been made elsewhere. But he did not try to turn this to the city's
advantage. The government could have easily pooled all the orders of the
Delhi Transport Corporation and private transporters and then made the
companies compete thus ensuring quality and low cost. But by letting the
one-two bus and auto operators negotiate separately with the companies,
Hashmi left them to the mercy of the wolves in the market. Not
surprisingly, there have even been public allegations that this was
deliberately manipulated for pecuniary reasons. A few years ago, several
European city authorities, across different countries, pooled their
orders to buy zero-emission buses for use in historic city centres to
avoid pollution and got a big discount. If cities across nations can pool
their order why couldn't we do it in one city? Poor transport operators
could have been helped even further. Though Delhi is the richest state of
India, it has a diesel price lower than other metros. An additional sales
tax of Re 1 in 1999 and 2000 would have fetched about  Rs. 300 crore.
This sum is so large that the government could have even given away some
3,000 retrofitted buses free. It is clear that neither the Delhi
government nor the Central government had any respect for the court order
nor any desire to implement it.

The government had no respect for the Supreme Court's order or the desire
to implement it

- Anil Agarwal

(This article is also available online at
http://www.cseindia.org/html/dte/dte20010430/dte_edit.htm)

Visit our website at www.cseindia.org and check out what's new. Our
website carries our science and environment fortnightly Down To Earth, a
daily environment news flash by subject categories, a catalog of books
and publications that are available, and all of our recent press
releases. We also give regular updates on all of our campaigns on topics
like vehicular pollution, climate change, biodiversity, water resources,
wildlife, forests, environment education etc. Our online library of
books, journals, images and videos is searchable through a thesaurus of
environmental keywords at http://data.cseindia.org

We are also looking for reciprocal linking to other website in this area.
Let us know your website address and we would be happy to link to you.
Please feel free to forward this message to other interested individuals.

Past archives of this bulletin are available at

http://www.cseindia.org/html/au/au6.htm

* NOTE CHANGE IN OUR EMAIL ADDRESS: PLEASE NOTE IT AS FOLLOWS  *
         CENTRE FOR SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENT  ( CSE )
 41, TUGHLAKABAD INSTITUTIONAL AREA, NEW DELHI- 110 062
            TELE:        608 1110, 608 1124
                         608 3394, 608 6399
            FAX :        91-11-608 5879
            VISIT US AT: http://www.cseindia.org