[sustran] Urban Growth Mgmt for Mobility in Santiago - Report Available

Chris Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 30 02:24:26 JST 2001

Dear Sustraners,

At the end of last year, Ralph Gakenheimer and I completed a study
exploring the potential for using urban growth management to address
transportation system challenges in Santiago de Chile.  Although specific
to the Santiago case, the report may be useful to others grappling with the
challenges of rapid urban expansion, unclear institutional
responsibilities, strong real estate interests, etc. The abstract of the
paper is below.

If you are interested, email me (NOT THE ENTIRE LIST) and I can send along
an electronic version (warning, the file is big: the unzipped version is
1.8 MB, the zipped version is 1 MB - let me know which youi prefer).

Warm regards,
Chris

Urban Growth Management for Mobility: The Case of the Santiago, Chile
Metropolitan Region
By: Christopher Zegras & Ralph Gakenheimer, December, 2000

ABSTRACT
In an attempt to clarify the challenges to and potentials for urban growth
management in a developing country context, this paper looks at the case of
the Santiago de Chile metropolitan area.  The paper begins with an overview
of the national political and administrative structure in Chile  the
institutional context within which growth management must function.  The
paper continues with a presentation of the Santiago metropolitan area,
overviewing demographics, the economy, the transportation system, urban
growth patterns, and the environment.  Then, the range of current
instruments used for growth management in Chile and Santiago are presented,
along with other relevant influences such as the public finance
system.  The following section reviews the real estate market, focusing on
the emergence of large developers and their associated "megaprojects,"
which play a major role in shaping the city's growth patterns and
trends.  Finally, the paper concludes with major findings, recommendations
for improvements to the current growth management system, and areas for
future work.