[sustran] Sustran and Earth Car Free Day

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Mar 27 01:29:52 JST 2001

Dear Team Sustran,

This is an invitation for you to get directly involved in the preparations
for Earth Car Free Day on April 19th.  You will find the whole story at
www.carfreeday.com.  And if you give it ten minutes over a cup of coffee you
will get a clear picture and you can then forget about  all that money I
loaned you a few years ago.

You will see that the action is already getting underway in many places
around the planet and at many levels, despite the fact that the 'formal
opening' of the site was only a week ago today.  I hesitated to contact you
however until we had all of the most important bits and pieces well in
order, which is now pretty much the case. I hope that you will consider
engaging yourself in one or more of three ways in this great human adventure
in the name of sustainability: as an individual citizen and parent, as a
member of a group that is well positioned to make a contribution, and
finally as a responsible representative of your city and country.

We would also like to invite you to present ideas for one more articles or
thinkpieces for out "Today" section of the site.  We are using these as
opportunities to make some of our points in less technical ways with broader
public appeal.  You will see it on the site.

Finally I would like to ask your assistance in trying to bring into this
first Earth Car Free Day cooperative effort as many as possible of those
beleaguered cities that really need to adjust their transportation system in
number of major ways.  These really have to be our targets, and as you will
see our approach is to go out and look for people and groups who are willing
to step forward and get the ball rolling in a first series of events and
trials.  We have to start somewhere, and I sincerely doubt that the solution
will come as a result of our sinking into our armchairs and waiting for the
problems to solve themselves.

So there you have it, dear colleagues.  We need you and the earth needs you.
Need I say more?

We hope to hear from you,

Eric Britton

Earth Car Free Day 2001 is at www.carfreeday.com
"We must be the change we wish to see"

The Commons ___technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org    Tel: +331 4326 1323  URL ecoplan.org