[sustran] Re: Statistics for planning

John Renne johnrenne at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:55:42 JST 2001

I don't know of any that are written specifically for urban and
transportation planning, but if anyone else does, I would love to know as
well.

Last year I helped tutor a course in Planning Methods at the University of
Colorado.  We used a book called 'Statistics: A Tool for Social Research'
written by Joseph F. Healey.

It's pretty much a basic introductory book that ends with multiple
regression. The good thing about it is that each chapter has SPSS exercises
at the back which helps students to learn how to use this program, which can
be useful.

You might also want to check 'Quantitative Data Analysis for Social
Scientists' by Alan Bryman and Duncan Cramer. It also talks about SPSS.

Hope this helps,

John Renne
Visiting Scholar
Institute for Sustainability and Technology Policy (ISTP)
Murdoch University
Perth, Western Australia