[sustran] Re: Successful campaigns againts roads - info request

ESG esg at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Fri Jul 27 13:37:29 JST 2001

Though still not a successful campaign, I could suggest that our effort to
stop the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor has at least succeeded in
stalling what would otherwise been a rushed clearance mechanism,
potentially affecting adversely over 200,000 people (about 170 villages).

 From documents available to us, we have done a thorough review and listed
reasons why this project is against the public interest, social justice and
the environment.  Such information is available online
at:  http://www.indiatogether.org/campaigns/bmic

Today the Indian inistry of Environment and Forest's Expert Committee will
review the project based on the documentaition we have filed.  Hopefully
this will result in a sound decision.

Leo Saldanha
Environment Support Group, Bangalore, India

At 05:43 AM 7/25/01 +1200, Roland Sapsford wrote:
>Hi
>
>Campaign for a Better City in Wellington New Zealand is collating
>information on
>successful public campaigns against major roading projects.  We are aware of
>Portland in the US, Brisbane in Australia, and Toronto in Canada (though would
>appreciate any sources of detailed info on these) and are looking for other
>examples from around the globe.
>
>Any information or pointers to sources of information would be great.
>
>Thanks in anticipation
>Roland
>
>--
>Roland Sapsford
>
>roland at actrix.gen.nz; (+64-4)934-1106;(+64-21)65-1105(m)
>PO Box 11-708, Manners St, Wellington, New Zealand
>
>"The most insidious form of ignorance is misplaced certainty"
>(Robert Costanza)

Environment Support Group (R)
S-3, Rajashree Apartments
18/57, 1st Main, S. R. K. Gardens