[sustran] Re: Another contribution to Jane Jacobs and Land Use

Lake Sagaris sagaris at lake.cl
Tue Jul 10 23:36:06 JST 2001

Hi folks

For those who are interested, aside from a lot of fascinating examples of
efforts throughout the US to revitalize limp downtowns, the book "Cities:
Back from the Edge, New Life for Downtown", by Roberta Brandes Gratz with
Norman Mintz, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1998,  in many ways picks up
where Jane Jacobs left off (although of course she never really did leave
off, as her wonderful influence on Toronto indicates). Interestingly,
Brandes Gratz really puts transit issues at the centre of urban renewal,
and in her last chapter The SoHo Syndrome and her conclusion: Back from the
Edge, she cites multiple examples of where changes to a pedestrian-centred
approach have been crucial to revitalizing urban centres.

Interestingly, many of the examples of grassroots rebuilding of urban
life/centres that she cites were led by citizens' groups born from fights
against major highway projects. Even more oddly, for us, not only is this
very much our background at Ciudad Viva (Living City) but her first book --
which we'd never heard of when we were in the process of deciding our name,
is called "Living Cities".

Anyway, for a good, provocative and well-documented read on the practical
implications of urban transport policies, I recommend this book.

Best,
Lake

PS We are looking for contacts in Bogota, Colombia, since two of our
members have the chance of a four-day visit there later this month, and are
very eager to have a first-hand look at everything they've been doing in
terms of changes to the urban transportation system. Any recommendations??