[sustran] Jane Jacobs and Land Use

John Renne johnrenne at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:35:59 JST 2001

Dear Wendell and others,

In Jane Jacobs's 'The Death and Life of Great American Cities' a powerful
insight is provided about automobiles and cities (Chapter 18).

Jacobs states about horses and cars, "The power of mechanized vehicles, and
their greater speed than horses, can make it easier to reconcile great
concentrations of people with efficient movement of people and goods... [the
problem is that]...We went awry by replacing, in effect, each horse on the
crowded city streets with half a dozen or so mechanized vehicles, instead of
using each mechanized vehicle to replace half a dozen or so horses. The
mechanized vehicles, in their overabundance, work slothfully and idle much.
As one consequence of such low efficiency, the powerful and speedy vehicles,
choked by their own redundancy, don't move much faster than horses."  In her
book she quoted the New York times stating, "The truth is that a horse and
buggy could cross Los Angles almost as fast in 1900 as an automobile can
make this trip at 5 p.m. today (1960)".

This problem has not gotten better in our cities today. I feel this is due
to the fact that we have one main limited resource and that is land. We need
to work to promote sustainable transportation which means that different
solutions will work in different places. We need to reassess our land uses
first and then discuss the specific technologies of movement second.

If you study the rest of her book and many other authors who have followed
her, you can begin to understand the configurations of land uses that
produce more sustainable outcomes for cities.

Best,

John Renne
Visiting Scholar
Institute for Sustainability and Technology Policy
Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia