[sustran] Rules, regulations and laws on bicycle

Brendan Finn bfinn at singnet.com.sg
Mon Jul 9 14:46:32 JST 2001

For Ireland, best source is to contact the Dublin Transportation Office, a public sector co-ordination entity. Website is http://www.dto.ie - note to other Sustrans list subscribers - this also has information on Dublin's traffic and public transport policy. It's a small unit, but quite expert and influential.

The DTO has established a substantial cycleway network in Dublin since 1996, starting from a zero base and overcoming what was previously quite an uncaring approach by the traffic authorities. You will find information on the cycle strategy as well as the cycleway network under the Traffic Management section of the website.

Until the late-60's, cycling was a very popular means of transport in Dublin due to low car ownership base, fairly quiet streets, few hills, and relatively short distances. The combined impacts of increased car ownership, busier streets, suburban development, and negative public attitudes meant that very few workers used bicycle by 1980 (the real damage was done in one decade) and not even very many students. From the late-1980's there has been something of a resurgence, since a typical 8km work trip to the city centre takes 40-60 minutes by car in the peak hour, but only 15-20 minutes by bicycle, and of course means that a family can remain as a one-car unit. However, you were literally taking your life in your hands, and very few work places had adequate storage or shower facilities. The positive attitude of the DTO has helped adult cyclists somewhat in safety terms, but the real beneficiaries are in the suburban areas where it is now very much safer for schoolchildren to use their bike to get to school. The real long-term win has been to put cycling back on the agenda as a transport mode which is worthy of its own infrastructure and traffic management measures.

Contact person is Michael Ahern at micka at dto.ie - he should also be able to get you information on the regulations (which seem to be generally unknown to cyclists!!) since all such developments must take place within the relevant traffic laws, and have regard to the safety of cyclists and other road users, including pedestrians.

Outside Dublin, I believe that there has been reasonable progress in Cork City, but unfortunately not very much in the rural areas where cycling is extremely important but highly dangerous.

If this contact point cannot answer your queries, please revert to me directly and I'll try to find other channels for you.

Brendan Finn.

Please note contact details as follows :

Address : 28, Leonie Hill, #02-28 Leonie Towers, Singapore 239227
Mobile : +65.94332298     Tel : +65.7340260   Fax/Tel : +65.7340412
e-mail :  bfinn at singnet.com.sg        Website  :  http://www.europrojects.ie/etts