[sustran] Re: a bias against drivers?

Hiep Nguyen hduc at airmoon.epa.nsw.gov.au
Mon Jul 9 12:25:09 JST 2001

Hello Wendell and all,

I find the recent debate quite interesting and informative.

In Taipei where i visited last year, the auto based system is not
sustainable and have caused huge social, economic problems. "A bias
against drivers" was required, the result is a new MASS Rapid Transit
(MRT) and many public transport initiatives. The MRT is very succesful and
in the end benefits the auto drivers as well. Now many cities in Taiwan
want to do the same. See the following articles for this experience and
example in Asia

<http://publish.gio.gov.tw/FCR/current/R0107p36.html> Sustainable Subways

<http://publish.gio.gov.tw/FCR/current/R0107p04.html> The Long Way Round

<http://publish.gio.gov.tw/FCR/current/R0107p12.html> Railway or the