[sustran] Re: A bias against drivers?

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Sat Jul 7 09:02:58 JST 2001

>From the transport-groups mailing list....

Wendell,

I suggest that you make this gentleman aware of the Delucchi
article "Should we Try to Get the Costs Right?" and the University of
Minnesota research paper referred to by Shef Lang "The Full Costs of
Transportation in the Twin Cities Area".

Point out the size of the externalities and the fact that 90-95% or
more of the public on which externalities and government costs fall
are drivers or those who ride in cars.  That leaves only 1-2% of the
overall costs to fall on those who don't drive or ride.

Bruce Gaarder
Saint Paul  MN
bruce_gaarder at acm.org

> > > Wendell,
> > >
> > > I would like to suggest that there is a reason to be biased
against
> > private transport. The benefits go primarily to the individual,
but
> > externalities go to the public at large. Nor can it ever be
available to
> all
> > age groups, all income groups, to people with disabilities, etc..
These
> > people get none of the benefits but the same externalities.
> > >
> > > Public transport uses less space, creates fewer externalities,
and
> doesn't
> > exclude large portions of the population.
> > >
> > > I think the core of our difference is that we can't agree on
how to
> > evaluate these externalities, and what to do, if anything, about
> > compensating for them.
> > >
> > > Eric Bruun

THE TRANSPORT POLICY DISCUSSION GROUP
Sponsored by The Public Purpose