[sustran] Re: a bias against drivers?

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Fri Jul 6 21:55:18 JST 2001

Interesting and useful statistics. Point is well taken that much of the
world is not as the US and Europe. I do not argue for imposition of an auto
model, I argue for objectivity. One doesnt appropriately start the
discussion by demonizing alternatives, alternatives are eliminated by
evaluation. And, obviously, as Eric Bruun rightly points out, we do not all
agree on all of the evaluation criteria.

Meanwhile, the urban form of Santiago makes it possible for public transport
to play such an important role, and largely without subsidy (at least with
regard to buses). Where numbers of this magnitude are found, this is usually
the model. Finally, to return European or American cities to similar urban
forms cannot physically or politically be done in, as Eric Brittan put it,
my lifetime (or that of my offspring).

Best regards and thank you for the data.
Wendell Cox

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA