[sustran] Re: Public transport does NOT exclude people

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Fri Jul 6 19:59:52 JST 2001

In short, by not being available to most, public transport does exclude
people. And, by spending on overly ineffective high cost capital projects,
especially in the US, it excludes many more who are denied service because
the more efficient, expanded services that could be provided are not. .

My comments relate largely to the developed world, not just the US, though
obviously there are differences.

As for those who should not be driving... strengthen licensing requirements.
There are few  major cities in the US (much less Europe or Japan) where it
is not possible to live without a car. It is just that people want more than
is available say, in downtown St. Louis, Cleveland or central Los Angeles.
Recall also, that with the exception of Houston, American cities are the
product of urban planning to a large degree.

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA