[sustran] Re: a bias against drivers?

BruunB at aol.com BruunB at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 03:29:21 JST 2001

Wendell,

I would like to suggest that there is a reason to be biased against private transport. The benefits go primarily to the individual, but externalities go to the public at large. Nor can it ever be available to all age groups, all income groups, to people with disabilities, etc.. These people get none of the benefits but the same externalities.

Public transport uses less space, creates fewer externalities, and doesn't exclude large portions of the population.

I think the core of our difference is that we can't agree on how to evaluate these externalities, and what to do, if anything, about compensating for them.

Eric Bruun