[sustran] Re: Information wanted: evidence of mobility impacts in developing world

Hiep Nguyen hduc at airmoon.epa.nsw.gov.au
Tue Feb 20 09:20:10 JST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, John Ernst wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> The World Bank held an Asia regional clean air workshop earlier this week
> in Bangkok.  There was a smattering of data on air quality, some of which
> is fairly recent, which I include below.  Note that papers were not
> peer-reviewed.  I've selected what I perceived to be the more reliable
> figures (at least they specified units, monitoring periods and locations).

Hello John,

Thanks for the information on the recent Clean Air Workshop in Bangkok
regarding data for many regional cities.

Here is more recent information on data on Ho Chi Minh City from an
International Clean Air Conference in Sydney,
(Phung Chi Sy, Nguyen Khac Thanh, Present status and plan of air
quality monitoring in Ho Chi Minh City, Proceedings of the 15th
International Clean Air & Environment Conference, Sydney, 26-30 Nov.
2000, Vol. 2.)

In 2000, the Department of Science, Technology and Environment (DOSTE) of
HCM City has set up, for the first time, four fixed continuous monitoring
stations as part of an UNDP Project (VIE/96/023) funded by the Danish
Government. The four fixed continuous automatically collected for CO, NO2,
particles, ozone, SO2.

The result for air quality monitoring data from 5 to 11 May 2000 is shown
below (range of concentration from minimum to maximum hourly value)

Monitoring stations
(Air pollutant concentrations (mg/m3))
(1) HCMC DOSTE
Particulate Matter (PM) : 0.08-1.1
SO2 : 0.01-0.10
NO2 : 0.02-0.13
CO :  0.0-20
(2) Hong bang Secondary school, District 5
Particulate Matter (PM) : 0.08-1.06
SO2 : 0.02-0.11
NO2 : 0.03-0.14
CO : 0.0-25
(3) Thu Duc Urban Management Department
Particulate Matter : 0.08-1.2
SO2 : 0.05-0.17
NO2 : 0.0-0.05
(4) Tan Son Hoa Meteorological station
Particulate Matter(PM) : 0.08-1.2
NO2   : 0.0-0.07
CO    :  0.0-4.0
Ozone : 0.0-0.15

Note that the standard quoted by Le Van Khoa in Bangkok Workshop is
for hourly values while the given concentration values are for annual
averages. So it is not a directly comparable. For example, the annual
average for PM and Lead at Hang Xanh are above the WHO annual
average many times.

There are different standards (1 hour, daily average, 8-hour, annual). The
Vietnam ambient air standard (TCVN) for 1 hour (mg/m3) are 0.3 (PM), 0.5
(SO2), 0.4 (NO2), 40 (CO), 0.2 (ozone). But for daily averages, the
standard are 0.2 (PM), 0.3 (SO2), 0.1 (NO2), 0.06 (ozone).

Regards,
Hiep Nguyen Duc
EPA, NSW