[sustran] Re: Information wanted: evidence of mobility impacts in developing world

John Ernst johnernst at asia.com
Fri Feb 16 20:48:04 JST 2001

Hi Chris,

The World Bank held an Asia regional clean air workshop earlier this week
in Bangkok.  There was a smattering of data on air quality, some of which
is fairly recent, which I include below.  Note that papers were not
peer-reviewed.  I've selected what I perceived to be the more reliable
figures (at least they specified units, monitoring periods and locations).

There are more than a few consultants who have seen their data disfigured
by governments, so that should also be considered.  There is also plain
error. The Swiss did independent monitoring in Jakarta and found the city's
measurements were off by up to a factor of 5.

Anyway, for what it's worth.  Below is an unformatted version of what I
scraped from the conference.

A couple of other suggestions.  Lee Schipper, at the International Energy
Agency, has been trying to get good transport figures for developing
countries lately.  I think he mostly has just frustration to report at this
stage, but it may be worth connecting with him (write me if you need his
e-mail).

Also, the ADB has a major clean air effort underway and they may have more
figures -- particularly on economic impacts of air pollution, if that is
relevant to you.  Contact Mr. Cornie Huizenga <chuizenga at adb.org>

I hope this helps,
John

----
SOURCE:  Clean Air Regional Workshop - Fighting Air Pollution: From Plan to
Action.  UN Conference Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.  12-14 February
2001.  Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

--
Shah, Jitendra.  Integrated Air Quality Management: From Plan to
Action.  Paper No. 6.

Annual cost of congestion and air pollution in selected Asian cities (US$
million) --
Bangkok
   Congestion 400
   Air Pollution  1300-3100
Seoul
   Congestion  154
   Air Pollution 6154
Manila
   Congestion 51
   Air Pollution 1800
Jakarta
   Congestion 68
   Air Pollution 400-800

--

FU Lixin and Ying YUAN.  Beijing's Recent Efforts on Reducing Motor Vehicle
Emissions.  Paper No. 10.

Estimate that, in Beiing, 73% of ambient concentration of NOx and 84% of CO
is from motor vehicles.

--
Wai-chuen Mok.  Hong Kong Experiencing on Fighting Smoky Diesel
Vehicles.  Paper No 11.

Percent of particulate emissions in Hong Kong from motor vehicle sources
increased from approximately 34 percent of total in 1992 to approximately
48 percent in 1998.

--
Le Van Khoa.  Air Quality Management in Ho Chi Minh City.  Paper No. 13.

Results of Roadside Air Monitoring at Hang Xanh Station in Ho Chi Minh
city  (annual average concentrations)

CO (mg/m3)
   1997  9.85
   1998  6.88
   1999  6.94
   2000  7.99
   Vietnam Standard  40

PM (mg/m3)
   1997  0.55
   1998  0.73
   1999  0.99
   2000  0.96
   Vietnam Standard  0.3

Lead (microgram/m3)
   1997  2.5
   1998  2.5
   1999  2.5
   2000  2.4
   Vietnam Standard  5.0

NO2 (mg/m3)
   1997  0.097
   1998  0.119
   1999  0.122
   2000  0.139
   Vietnam Standard  0.4

--
Nathanon Thavisin.  Management of Air Quality of Bangkok Metropolitan.

"Pollution Free Road" campaign in Bangkok; informational campaign (roadside
signs with occasional police enforcement to gain the "cooperation" of
motorists, especially single-occupant vehicles, in not using selected roads)

24-hour average concentration PM-10 measurements in 1999 (prior to
campaign) and May 2000 (after).  (micrograms/cubic meter)

Average of 8 roads in Bangkok
    1999: 273
    2000: 159
Note:  legal standard in Thailand = 120