[sustran] Re: (no title)

Dinesh Mohan dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Fri Dec 14 18:53:16 JST 2001

> I would like to bring another human rights issue to the attention of
> this group.

Sutainable transport is only possible if non motorised forms oftransport
becomes safe from traffic crashes and street crime. Even the
use of public transport depends greatly on safety and security issues,
especially for children, women and the elederly. These issues need much
more attention and work politically, socially and technically. Since
travel choice and road use choice is not voluntary for most trips it is
essential that societal systems ensure our safety and security.

Similarly, the place of work and the homes we live in are not very often
by choice and the facilities provided not under our control. Therefore,
in modern society, right to life includes the right to safety as a human
right. As a preliminary move in this direction, a Draft Charter for
People's Rightto Safety has been put on our website for comments. For
details please
go to http://www.iitd.ac.in/tripp and click on the button "People's
Right to Safety". Comments welcome.

> Dinesh Mohan

> Indian People’s Tribunal on Environment and Human Rights
>

> Invitation for a Press and Public Meeting
>                                                    Date: 18th December
>                                                 Time: 4.30pm to 6.00pm
>                                   Venue: Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh
>   What happened to the Government’s plan to rebuild Gujarat stone by
>                                 stone?
>                    Who benefited and who lost out?
>   Are we prepared to face another disaster like the one in Gujarat?
>

> Dear Friends,
>
> We are glad to invite you for the Press and Public meeting to release
> the Indian People’s Tribunal Report No foresight
 No follow up on the
> relief and rehabilitation process after the January 26th, 2001
> earthquake in Gujarat at:
>                           4:30pm on Tuesday,
>                         18th December 2001 at
>      Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh, Near VT opp. BMC Head office.
>
> The enquiry was conducted by an 11 member panel of experts which was
> headed by:
>
> Justice K Sukumaran (Retd Judge, Kerala & Mumbai High Courts) & panel
> consisted of:
>
> Dr PV Unnikrishnan (Disaster Management), Dr Harish Shetty (Mental
> Health),
>
> Dr Ashok Patil (Physiotherapy), Ms Sujata Patel (Sociologist),
>
> Ms Ranjana Subberwal (Disability), Ms Nimitta Bhatt (Health Care),
>
> Prof. Jitendra Dholakia (Economist), Adv. Mihir Desai (Legal),
>
> Dunu Roy (Housing), Max Martin (Journalist).
>                                 Agenda
>
>    * Sunil Scaria Background of the Enquiry
>    * Adv. Mihir Desai The Question of Basic Rights
>    * Dr. Harish Shetty Need for Psycho-Social Help
>    * Dr. Ashok Patil Disasters and Disability
>    * Dr. P.V. Unnikrishnan Need for Disaster Preparedness
>    * Release of the IPT report
>    * The presentations will be followed by the screening of the film –
>      Voices from a Disaster – directed by K.P Sasi.
>
> Please do come and invite your friends as well,
>
> Regards,
>
> Sunil Scaria

Send your response to DRAFT CHARTER ON PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO SAFETY
CHECK TRIPP website http://www.iitd.ac.in/tripp/

[IMORTANT: if this server gives you trouble in sending a mail to me,
you can use <trippdelhi at hotmail.com> temporarily.]
Dinesh Mohan
Henry Ford Professor for Biomechanics and Transportation Safety
Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme
Room MS 808, Main Building
Indian Institute of Technology
Hauz Khas
New Delhi 110016