[sustran] Re:(Sustran):Public transport as a social phenomenon

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Mon Aug 27 00:44:33 JST 2001

Dear Kumudu Kusum Kumara,
We have been studying the Urban Transport Issue in Pune, India and would be
happy to share our experiences insights with your student, who welcome to
get in touch with us.
--
Sujit Patwardhan
Hon Secretary

A brief write up on Parisar
PARISAR

Parisar, which means 'surroundings' in Marathi, was formed on 5th June (the
World Environment Day) 1981.

Since inception Parisar has been working as a non-political, independent
citizen's group for the cause of environmental awareness and education.

Though started informally by a group of concerned individuals wanting to
educate themselves and actively do something about the deterioration in the
quality of urban life, Parisar is now a full-fledged registered body with
about 150 members. It is no longer restricted merely to the narrow focus of
improving the quality of the Urban Environment but also in to trying to
understand 'Environment' in its totality - from its global ramifications to
its rural and local implications.

Though active participation has been mainly restricted to local issues
relevant to the Pune city, we have tried, both through the Parisar Varta,
our news bulletin, as well as an exhibition of posters, to reach people all
over Maharashtra.

Whenever open spaces -- be they lakes, ponds or hills, are threatened to be
encroached upon by unthinking or vested interests of powerful lobbies,
Parisar has tried to stall the encroachment by building up public pressure
through signature campaigns, press releases, handouts, demonstrations,
dharnas etc. and has often had to resort to legal intervention, mainly in
the instance of violation of FSI and other building control rules. Today
high rise buildings without adequate infrastructure of water, drainage,
roads and parking facilities have led to an unplanned skewed growth of our
city. With the builders increasingly taking charge of the land-use pattern
of the city and the government lacking in political will, scarce urban
resources are being diverted to the better-off sections of the population,
leaving the majority in unhealthy deteriorating environmental condition.

Parisar believes that environmental concern should not merely be restricted
to planting trees, beautifying the surroundings and creating sanctuaries
for endangered species. Environmental orientation questions the very model
of 'development', which exploits the natural resources and people at large
for the benefit of a few. This conviction has led Parisar into diverse
issues such as natural farming, urban planning, sustainable urban
transport, the present mode of industrialisation, dangers of atomic energy,
destruction caused by large dams and above all to evolving a model for
environmentally sustainable development.