[sustran] [sustran] Public transport as a social phenomenon

kisan kisansbc at vsnl.com
Sat Aug 25 09:50:14 JST 2001

Dear Kumudu Kusum Kumara,

Your email of 23 July came to us on 22 August.
We cannot recommend any literature however if
your student wants to study Public Transport as a
social phenomenon in operation, then Mumbai can
be a very live and articulating area to study.  Public road transport and
rail transport each provide 5
million journeys a day at probably the lowest rate
in the most congested areas and most suffocating  condition.  Bus service is
municipalised while rail is India Government owned.  Every (so called)
development displaces slum and pavement
dwellers, about 65% of Mumbai's population
of 12 million (Census of India 2001).  Quite
often a few elite using public interest
litigation forum add to the hardship to the
poorest of the poor.

We have been involved in traffic and transport as
a part of urban and regional development for
over 30 years.  We would be most happy to
help your student if she chooses to visit to
study Mumbai for her dissertation.  A week's
stay may be adequate.  Best wishes.

Kisan Mehta  mailto:<kisansbc at vsnl.com>
President, Save Bombay Committee,
620 Jame Jamshed Road, Dadar East,