[sustran] : Urgent Info Request: ADB and Waste Incineration

kisan kisansbc at vsnl.com
Mon Aug 13 10:44:05 JST 2001

Dear Gaia and etoxic colleagues,

Apologies for responding to your Gaia One request after the cut off date.  You agree that it is better late than never.  So this message.  I am including our colleagues in the Sustran because it was with this group that I had occasion
to meet the ADB officials a couple of years ago.  I know that our Sustran colleagues are equally interested in developing sustainable programmes that affect the poor the least. We all talk of poverty alievation but do the otherwise.

In response to my letter earlier to Dr Heckler opposing the ADB promoting incineration and `burn all' gadgets, he had appreciated our Integrated Solid Waste Management Programme (ISWMP) and promised to write again
however that opportunity of knowing as to how the ADB will support
sustainable programmes never came as he has not written again as assured.

For the developing (frankly poor) countries,  the most critical issue is the paucity of financial resources.  Multilateral financial agencies like the World Bank, IMF and of course the ADB pump in large loans that poor countries find it difficult
to pay back.   Though some of these loans are extended at very low interest, burden of interest on people becomes very heavy as high government costs, corruption, favouritism etc increase the burden.  It is this burden that breaks
the back of the poor.  The state selects programmes that gives them credit but no help to the poor.   The multilateral agencies do not extend loans to  NGOs
for carrying out really sustainable programmes of long term interest to the people.  They have started giving loans to private sector but no help to
citizen groups. The WB President Mr Wolfensohn categrorically refused
support to NGOs in our meeting with him.

As Dr Heckler accepted that the ISWMP was interesting, would the ADB
support NGOs to implement it to assure jobs as well as respect to  poor rag
pickers who would lose all chance of living if the `burn all' comes up with the
ADB support?  Philipines and all Asian, African and Latin American countries have sizeable population at `below the poverty line' level. The poor will ensure higher level of cleanliness and regard for environment and public health than
the higher ups and `burn all' programmes.

In discussion with the ADB then,  I had drawn their attention to a number of road-expressway- programmes in the Western India which were likely to affect the environment.  The ADB officers in discussion with us first pleaded that the ADB was not involved with any assistance for expressways. Then they changed over to saying that expressway assistance was handled by another ADB Dept with which they have no connection.  In response to our persistent insistence, they were good enough to assure that they would contact us after consulting their colleagues.  This was in 1997.  We have not heard anything till today.  In the meantime, the expressway from Mumbai to Ahmedabad is fast coming up. In a patch of 60 km distance, the authorities cut down over 70,000 trees even
before the road alignment was finalised.  Clear felling of 100 year old trees within 15 metre distance either side of present alignment took place.  Now the expressway, under construction, at some points pass through distances far
off so fresh cutting of trees.   The Govt of India does not allow (it claims)
cutting of trees in forests however they permit cutting when a project is
backed by multilateral agencies.

Can we not ask as to why it should support any project where the environment
is affected and where finite natural resources are destroyed beyond redemption?
Would the ADB insist on involving people in projects itproposes to support?
Can we not ask the ADB to evaluate viable alternatives from the point of burden on the people, susatainability, involvement of the poor in implementing the projects while considering and supporting wasteful state projects?   Is this
system is carried out and full degree of transparency maintained, then `burn all' programmes will disqualify for  loans from them.   We all talk of transparency.   citizens have a stake in programmes and yet they are not involved.  Will the
ADB ensure total transparency in its functioning as well as of borrowers with
their citizens?  Easy liquidity of money emboldens the states to ask for more loans without realising that every loan is aburden on people and not on the politicians.   Best wishes for successful and effective discussion with the ADB President and his colleagues.

Kisan Mehta mailto:kisansbc at vsnl.com.

 .