[sustran] Re: [NewMobility] Finding a win-win strategy for Bogota

Lake Sagaris sagaris at terra.cl
Wed Aug 8 22:19:01 JST 2001

Hi Eric and everyone on the list (I'm reposting this because it didn't go
through yesterday)

Your observations are interesting and worthwhile, although I'd like to
clarify a few points. On El Tiempo, I was referring to their incredibly
biased coverage (Banner headlines "Chaos is coming!" in reference to the
August 6th expansion of TransMilenio) while we were in Bogota. (I worked as
a foreign correspondent for 20 years before switching to translation two
years back, so have some sense of fair and biased ways of handling
controversy in the media). This was primarily in another paper owned by the
same group, although there were several articles in El Tiempo itself and I
was amazed at how one-sided it was.

Both Pato and I thought that probably one of the most important successes
of Transmilenio was the fact that not only has it created what we consider
a "metro-quality" (ie first rate, egalitarian transport for all) means of
transportation, it has done so by working with private bus firms. We see
this as being of incredible importance because of the highly fragmented
structure of bus ownership in Santiago and indeed most Latin American
cities. There's not much point in simply blaming the buses for the poor
quality of public transport -- they are primarily PYMEs, the small and
medium-sized firms that are so in fashion today because they create
employment etc. What Transmilenio did, however, which may end up being its
most significant contribution was to  restructure the way private ownership
functions, and that constitutes a breakthrough for all of us grappling with
these issues in this continent.

The reason there is such strong anti-bus sentiment in most Latin American
cities comes from a variety of sources. Undoubtedly, the resentment is
fueled by the fact that the buses are in such bad shape, are involved in a
disproportionate number of serious, crippling and fatal accidents, and as a
system treat their basically captive customers very poorly. This does not
endear a system to its users, potential or actual. Users have not only the
right, but the obligation to criticize and from there go on to demand and
work for improvements to the buses they are forced to ride in. This is
where much of the anti-bus sentiment comes from, because it is the
overwhelming perception of the system -- and it corresponds to reality
(unfortunately, for all us bus advocates, because there are some wonderful
things about buses in LA, mainly related to short waiting times, because
the coverage is so high).

That said, one of the points we have brought up often is that it makes no
sense for the public works ministry or other governmental bodies to be
willing to subsidize a single highway project like the Costanera Norte to
the tune of US$120 million, then turn around and say there's no money for
public transit, as has happened in Santiago in recent years.

Our local proposals include the idea of taxi lanes to bring customers to
restaurants in Bellavista, for example, precisely because of their
importance to the local economy (many of our residents -- ie members of
Living City -- are taxi owners/drivers) and because while taxis may not be
as efficient as buses on some levels, they are more practical for some uses
and more efficient than having the area overrun with people trying to park
during rush periods. They are also a practical alternative when linked to
our market areas, where again they are an essential part of our urban
ecology and economy.

By the way, I don't think your comments on the "us" and "them" dichotomy or
characterizing people as "suits" vs. "non-suits" is very helpful, to be
honest, at least not in the Latin American context. We don't think like
that at Living City and that doesn't strike me as the attitude we have
found among transport engineers, urban planners and others we have ended up
working with over the years. (It is in fact amazing who wears suits and who
doesn't in these cultures.) And virtually everybody uses buses (60-80%),
with a lot of working and poor people using bicycles... So bike lanes are
extremely important to improving equality through transport mechanisms.

We thought that one of the weaknesses of the TransMilenium and bike lanes
approach used in Bogota was the lack of integration of small and
medium-scale local commerce, which is extremely important to creating
thriving economies, especially in the cities of Latin America. The bike
lanes in Bogota have created an incredible network of mobile stands
offering juice to people out on their bikes on Sundays, but small cafés
(with some exceptions) and other commerce were mostly closed. This is good
from the mental health point of view, no doubt, as everyone has a right to
rest, but poor because it keeps the road-as-the-place-for-bikes approach
restricted to bikes-for-fun, rather than bikes-for-serious-urban
transportation, which is where many many people would like to see them.
Bikes, in flat cities like Santiago, are an excellent option for moving
young people to and from school and, if organized well, can improve safety
levels on streets.

Anyway, these are a few thoughts based on our recent visit and these
comments. I would add that we're not really into looking for "models" to
bring home and try on whole (most people are pretty fed up with the
economic "model" that has been forced down peoples' throats over the past
20 years), but rather looking at, and learning from the experience of other
cities, particularly those facing similar challenges. Again, we thought
that Bogota has made a major contribution by overcoming the private vs.
public administration models and offers a breakthrough in that sense -- if
individual bus owners can be brought together so as to make some management
of the system possible. That would create win-win situation for everyone.

Best
Lake