[sustran] Re: [NewMobility] Finding a win-win strategy for Bogota

Dinesh Mohan dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Wed Aug 8 14:25:25 JST 2001

I must say that I agree with the spirit behind Eric's observations. All of us
want clean air. But sometimes we forget that it is human beings (and other
living organisms) that need the clean air. If some policies harm human beings
then we have to decide who, when and how. In many less motorised countries the
most vociferous and influential sustainable development advocates belong to the
upper class, and their bias shows:

1.    They are willing to pass laws to shut down workshops and factories in
cities, limit traffic, make public transport more expensive (by requiring more
expensive technonolgy), etc. because they have to breathe the same air as every
one else. But hey don't really care if thousands of poorer citizens lose their
jobs, go hungry or are forced to migrate.

2.    On the other hand, the same concerned activists rarely demand that every
one must get clean and bacteria free water in their taps (if and when they get
it) because the upperclass can afford to buy bottled water.

    From my experience in India, letters to newspapers only represent upper
class views. Street protests reflect the views of the "other". I am afraid the
"other " does not see our views as benign. Citizens hearings in Delhi have
brought ot the fact that some of our clean air  policies have made life
difficult for hundreds of thousands, many of them have pulled thier children out
of school, others have sent their familiesd back to villages, still others are
forced into prostitution, and so on. They certainly don't believe that we want a
better world.

Sustainable transport policies will have to keep human beings in the centre and
not just chemically clean air.

Dinesh Mohan

eric.britton at ecoplan.org wrote:

> * (This note contains the earlier correspondence on the Bogota crisis of the
> last day's, placed here for those who have not had access to it. For the
> latest direct, check out http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/. For history, try
> http://www.ecoplan.org/votebogota2000/.)
>
> Dear Lake, Christopher and Group,
>
> Thanks for those fine heads-up Christopher and Lake.  Let me run this
> through you and the others as I understand it.  Since it is quite possible
> that I am at error in some part if not all of this, it will be with pleasure
> to hear from you all so that we get this important story in its full and
> necessary perspective.  And at the same time, we have to be aware that time
> is very short here if there is anything that we might do to attenuate this
> situation.
>
> 1. Wow!  One does has to wonder about what goes on in the mind of
> purportedly sentient person in a Third World city who would be prepared to
> take on the couple of hundred thousand people who work in the private bus
> and taxi sector.  History is littered with the corpses of those who have
> tried, whether in Chile, in Colombia itself a decade and a half before
> Salvador Allende has his face-off with the truckers, or... and the list goes
> on.
>
> 2. We must be careful to keep a balanced perspective on all this.  The
> transportation and public space accomplishments of the city and its
> administrators over these last few years have been of a very high levels,
> and against all the odds.  I think we have given excellent coverage of this
> here in The Commons, as well as our active, world-level support.  No problem
> there.  We love Bogota and we love certainly no less the emerging Bogota
> Model for Third World Cities. But we also need to be very sure that we have
> the right model, and that as we are seeing is a terrific challenge indeed.
> Work for which many hands are needed!
>
> 3. I would tend to be very careful however about seeing this as an "us"
> (good TransMilenio, bike paths, walking and pubic spaces, Ciclovías (car
> free Sundays), and all that other good stuff) and "them" (all those filthy,
> polluting, half criminal, dangerous and the list goes on vehicles) issue.
> This is however, I am afraid, the sub-text of what has been going on in
> Bogota more or less all along- and is on area in which I was in strong
> opposition with previous administration (but apparently without being
> vociferous enough about it to make my point).
>
> 4. By the way, let's ponder for a moment who's the "them" there.  Let's
> see -- bearing in mind that these are very rough figures since the actual
> number of vehicles out there on the streets is subject to all kinds fo real
> world stuff - we have something like 55,000 taxis and 35,000 or so buses of
> various types and sizes.  Figure anywhere from 3 to 5 support people (AKA
> jobs) for each of those vehicles, and we quickly are moving up toward half a
> [...]

Send your response to DRAFT CHARTER ON PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO SAFETY, GO TO
TRIPP website http://www.iitd.ac.in/tripp/

[IMORTANT: if this server gives you trouble in sending a mail to me,
you can use <trippdelhi at hotmail.com> temporarily.]
Dinesh Mohan
Henry Ford Professor for Biomechanics and Transportation Safety
Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme
Room MS 808, Main Building
Indian Institute of Technology
Hauz Khas
New Delhi 110016