[sustran] Re: Successful campaigns againts roads - info request

Antony J Plumbe a.j.plumbe at Bradford.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 06:10:08 JST 2001

Roland,

There is a Guide on Road Campaigning published in the UK by Transport
2000/Friends of the Earth/Council for the Protection of Rural England.
It is a bit old now, is rather specific to the UK, and may well be out
of print. Roger Higman, who has also replied to this email will be able
to give you the full bibliographic details. There is also a very
academic book written by a Earth First activist regarding direct action
taken against roads in the UK - published by Routledge about 2 years
ago and in print. This is PhD write-up. I do not have the full
bibliographic details to hand right now.

Also you might look at some of the literature written on campaigns that
were NOT successful. The classic one here in the UK is Twyford Down -
there is book by that name written by one of the main opponents (sorry
name escapes me this evening).

Hope this gives you some 'leads'.

Tony Plumbe

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 05:43:20 +1200
Roland Sapsford <roland at actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Campaign for a Better City in Wellington New Zealand is collating information on
> successful public campaigns against major roading projects.  We are aware of
> Portland in the US, Brisbane in Australia, and Toronto in Canada (though would
> appreciate any sources of detailed info on these) and are looking for other
> examples from around the globe.
>
> Any information or pointers to sources of information would be great.
>
> Thanks in anticipation
> Roland
>
> --
> Roland Sapsford
>
> roland at actrix.gen.nz; (+64-4)934-1106;(+64-21)65-1105(m)
> PO Box 11-708, Manners St, Wellington, New Zealand
>
> "The most insidious form of ignorance is misplaced certainty"
> (Robert Costanza)

----------------------
A. J. Plumbe,
Co-ordinator M.Sc. in Project Planning and Management,
email: a.j.plumbe at bradford.ac.uk
Fax: International: +44-1274-235280
     Domestic     : 01274-235280
Phone: International : +44-1274-235264