[sustran] Re: From Eric Britton on Successful campaigns againts roads - databas e, website, whatever

Lake Sagaris sagaris at lake.cl
Thu Aug 2 21:52:27 JST 2001

Roberto Brandes Gratz, in her book "Cities Back from the Edge", which I
already mentioned to the list, speaks of many cases of fights against
highways that eventually led to significant movements for changes and
improvements to cities.

Offhand, I can remember a few (not all from her book) -- The newspaper The
Village Voice originally started as part of an anti-highway movement;
Brandes' chapter "The Soho Syndrome" illustrates how the fight against a
highway project eventually led to the highly successful urban renewal of
Soho, then a New York industrial district in decline. She provides a long
list of US and Canadian cities where a similar phenomenon has occurred.

"The highway defeat (in Soho) gave heart to urbanists, community defenders,
and all other opponents of misguided urban renewal projects."

San Francisco's experience with the Embarcadero highway is particularly
important, since they have now torn down sections and turned them back into
very successful park areas. Something similar is happening with Toronto's
Gardiner Expressway (See Robert Fulford, Accidental City, a beautifully
written, insightful and informative book on Toronto).

Philadelphia underwent a similar process, ie defeat of a highway project
followed by grassroots work to improve the city.

Best,
Lake