[sustran] Re: Successful campaigns againts roads - info request

Roger Higman rogerh at foe.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 22:33:17 JST 2001

Roland

There are lots of examples from the UK. Between 1994 and 1998,
successive British governments cut about 250 road projects from their
national programmes - many of which had been subject to vociferous
campaigns.

Famous examples include: the East London River Crossing through Oxleas
wood, the M62-M1 link road in West Yorkshire, the Aylesbury bypass, the
M12 in Essex, the whole of the east-west route, the Preston Western
bypass, the Ilkley bypass, two bypasses north of Oxford, large chunks of
the M25 widening etc etc.

More recent victories include the defeat of the Hastings bypasses which
were scrapped only a month ago.

Roger Higman

--
Roger Higman
Senior Campaigner (Climate and Transport)

Tel     + 44 207 566 1661                       Fax   + 44 207 490 0881
Mobile  + 44 7780 661807
E-mail  rogerh at foe.co.uk                        http://www.foe.co.uk