[sustran] Re: fwd: Delhi public transport crisis again

Akila Dinakar akiladinakar at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:58:01 JST 2001

Hello: It was one of my predictions that environmental issues will occupy
top priority in newspapers and other media. True to that came the Gujarat
earthquake which was a human tragedy, having environmental degradation
behind the magnitude. Next comes the burning of buses in New Delhi. It is
good to see public agitating for a public cause, though the modus operandi
is ultimately not good for them. It is equally good to see the Chief
Minister joining issue with the public, if only they had been more effective
in averting this crisis.
In Chennai recently, when an environmentalist from an organisation that was
mainly responsible for this Court ruling was here, I asked him what was the
rationale behind the judgement when one bus, with one tail-pipe pollution
was transporting thousands of passengers should be taken off the road when
you are not able to control the burgeoning private automobiles, cars and
two-stroke two wheelers, lorries which constitute the maximum pollution and
disperse it at the street level. I asked him why don't you instead lobby for
better pavements to make walking more attractive, safe cycling tracks to
help people take to this healthy and non-polluting mode of transport instead
of targetting buses which transporting lakhs of people per day with minimal
pollution per head.
He did not have an answer as he had already admitted that their persuasion
did not work with the oil and automobile industry! There is no doubt in the
fact that pollution should be minimised. But we have to take care that at
the very outset we should not hit where it hurts most. Thank You. Akila
Dinakar.