[sustran] Requesting your support

Heckler bayk at quickweb.com.ph
Thu Sep 28 12:04:36 JST 2000

Dear Co-Worker for Sustainable Transport and the Environment,

The Implementing Rules and Regulations of the recently passed Philippine
Clean Air Law and its accompanying Action Plan are being finalized. The
draft was presented to local non-government organizations (NGOs) for
consultations last July and we proposed that specific language that would
promote  of non-motorized transport (NMT) as part of air pollution
prevention meaasures be included in the draft. At that time, government
representatives agreed to do so but when the supposedly updated draft
document was presented in final public consultations earlier this month, the
provision on NMT
was nowhere to be found.  The government panel said it was an oversight and
would "see what we can do."

To help them along in this process we are seeking your support to put some
pressure on the government to actually do what they say. Attached below is a
letter to
the government representatives of the Department of Transportation and
Communications and Department of Environment and Natural Resources who are
directly involved in writing the IRR. We are asking local and international
NGOs and public interest groups to add their names to the letter -- the more
the merrier. Of course you could sign on as an individual but we ask that
you add information to identify yourself.

The final version will be out very soon so please respond as quickly as soon
as
possible hopefully by September 30 so we can add your name to the
signatories' list. We would also be delighted if you could pass this on to
others of like mind.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Katti Sta. Ana
THE FIREFLY BRIGADE
fireflybrigade at mindgate.net

Ramon Fernan
BAYK AKSYON
bayk_aksyon at yahoo.com

------------- September 25, 2000

Mr. Arnel Manresa Chief,
Road Transport Planning Division
Department of  Transportation and Communications
Ortigas Ave., Greenhills
Mandaluyong City
Philippines

cc: Mr. Peter Abaya, Director, Environmental Management Bureau

Dear Sir,

In the just concluded public consultation on the Implementing Rules and
Regulations (IRR) and Action Plan of the Philippine Clean Air Act, you
assured sustainable transport advocates that you agree with the basic
principle of promoting non-motorized transport (NMT) as a solution to our
air pollution problems.  We now write this letter to urge you and the
concerned government agency representatives  to turn your words into action.

The promotion of NMT is already part of several policy documents as well as
part of international accords that the Philippine government is signatory
to, specifically Philippine Agenda 21 and the Declaration that came out of
Habitat II. Specifying the use of NMT in the Clean Air Act IRR as well
as the Action Plan will bring this commitment into action.

By design or otherwise, the draft documents give priority to technical
solutions to a problem (air pollution) that is not purely technical in
nature.  Cleaner fuels, cleaner engines, less end-of-pipe emissions are all
well and good and are important components of an overall strategy towards
cleaning up the air.  We strongly recommend that the IRR include
specific language saying that the promotion of NMT must be part of this
overall strategy. It is incumbent upon the IRR to put teeth towards ensuring
that stakeholders, particularly the local governments, to take concrete
steps towards seriously thinking how cycling, walking, etc. should be
promoted locally, how plans should be formulated, what targets should be set
and how such initiatives should be funded.

These can be done by:

1. making sure that the IRR  directs national government agencies directly
related to transport  and the environment, such as the DOTC, the Department
of Public Works and Highways, the  Department of  Environment and Natural
Resources and local governments to develop programs and projects for the
popular use of non-motorized transport;

2. setting aside national funds to support such NMT initiatives by local
government and NMT programs of government agencies; and

3.  specifying  the ambient air quality standards that local authorities
must attain or face censure  and the possible  loss of resources coming from
the national treasury should they fail to do so.

In the light of the experience of other countries, compliance requirements
have successfully forced local governments to take the issue of clean air
seriously and to implement effective measures to curb further pollution for
their local communities. The citizen suit provision of the law can only be
an effective weapon for enforcement if there are clearly stated mandates in
the IRR regarding violations. Going after individual violators through such
suits are, at best, stop gap measures.

The air we breathe is part of the commons. Both national and local
government should be held primarily responsible for its cleanliness and
quality.  Compliance requirements will give the citizen suits real mandates
for going after those government authorities failing to do their job.

We hope these recommendations are taken in the spirit in which they are
offered, that is, as concrete and doable suggestions to really clean up the
air. We are relying on you to include our recommendations in the IRR and
Action Plan.

Signed:

PLEASE INCLUDE YOURSELF HERE:
SEND IT BACK TO US THROUGH E-MAIL
Name
Title
Organization
e-mail , mailing address, contact numbers,
Country base

Ramon Fernan III
BAYK AKSYON
bayk_aksyon at yahoo.com
Room 205, National College of Public Administration and Governance
University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Tel. 925-4109

Katti Sta. Ana