[sustran] Re: Bus / Public Transport reading list?

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Sep 27 22:28:50 JST 2000

A book that puts public transit into the context of urban planning and
development is  Vukan R. Vuchic, "Transportation for Livable Cities," URP
Books (http://www.policy.rutgers.edu/cupr. It's more about planning than
operations, but may be helpful for developing strategic goals and political
support.

At 01:36 PM 09/27/2000 +0300, you wrote:
>I am looking for help.
>
>We have a new CEO here at SAPTCO. The company being a parastatal (mainly
>privately owned, mainly government controlled) it is not surprising that he
>has come from the Saudi Ministry of Finance. He is an Engineer (I think) and
>he knows nothing about Buses or Public Transport, beyond what any
>intelligent man-in-the-street knows.
>
>He wants me to find him some suitable reading material to fil this gap.
>Ilhamdul'illah! SAPTCO has 2,600 buses, roughly split between (profitable)
>Inter-City operation and (loss-making) urban operation. the latter has
>suffered considerable management neglect of late. (We are now carrying about
>10% of the traffic we were 18 years ago, with roughly the same size fleet!
>Admittedly, our contract business had increased significantly - until this
>summer, when we lost most of it. Eggs and Baskets come to mind.)
>
>What I am looking for is a recent book that gives adequate coverage to the
>business side of bus operation. It should preferably not be restricted to a
>particular country, but should look at the revolution in bus operation
>typified by Deregulation and Privatisation in the UK. The message I am
>looking to convey is that buses can provide an urban transport system that
>is well-organised and of good quality, without incurring enormous subsidies.
>
>It needs to balance the totally-free-market approach against the
>totally-planned approach.
>
>Does anyone know of a suitable work? Or alternatively, is there on the Web a
>(Public) Transportation book list? the only title I have come up with so far
>is Peter White's "Public Transport - Its Planning, Management and
>Operation". I have to admit that I haven't read it (but I will buy it!), but
>from what I know it is very UK, and looks from the academic rather than
>business standpoint.
>
>All assistance most welcome.
>
>--
>howesap at saptco.com.sa
>Alan Howes, Special Advisor, Saudi Public Transport Company, Riyadh
>+966 1 454 5000 ext. 156
>Personal email: alanhowes at usaksa.com

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director