[sustran] Bus / Public Transport reading list?

Alan P Howes howesap at saptco.com.sa
Wed Sep 27 19:36:50 JST 2000

I am looking for help.

We have a new CEO here at SAPTCO. The company being a parastatal (mainly
privately owned, mainly government controlled) it is not surprising that he
has come from the Saudi Ministry of Finance. He is an Engineer (I think) and
he knows nothing about Buses or Public Transport, beyond what any
intelligent man-in-the-street knows.

He wants me to find him some suitable reading material to fil this gap.
Ilhamdul'illah! SAPTCO has 2,600 buses, roughly split between (profitable)
Inter-City operation and (loss-making) urban operation. the latter has
suffered considerable management neglect of late. (We are now carrying about
10% of the traffic we were 18 years ago, with roughly the same size fleet!
Admittedly, our contract business had increased significantly - until this
summer, when we lost most of it. Eggs and Baskets come to mind.)

What I am looking for is a recent book that gives adequate coverage to the
business side of bus operation. It should preferably not be restricted to a
particular country, but should look at the revolution in bus operation
typified by Deregulation and Privatisation in the UK. The message I am
looking to convey is that buses can provide an urban transport system that
is well-organised and of good quality, without incurring enormous subsidies.

It needs to balance the totally-free-market approach against the
totally-planned approach.

Does anyone know of a suitable work? Or alternatively, is there on the Web a
(Public) Transportation book list? the only title I have come up with so far
is Peter White's "Public Transport - Its Planning, Management and
Operation". I have to admit that I haven't read it (but I will buy it!), but
from what I know it is very UK, and looks from the academic rather than
business standpoint.

All assistance most welcome.

howesap at saptco.com.sa
Alan Howes, Special Advisor, Saudi Public Transport Company, Riyadh
+966 1 454 5000 ext. 156
Personal email: alanhowes at usaksa.com