[sustran] Assistance Wanted (Indonesia) <fwd>

Antony J Plumbe a.j.plumbe at Bradford.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 03:53:15 JST 2000

Alan,

Apparently this was rejected by the sustrans system first time round
owing to the title starting with 'help'. So here is the second attempt.

Tony Plumbe

--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:59:34 +0000 ()
From: Antony J Plumbe <a.j.plumbe at bradford.ac.uk>
Subject: Help Wanted (Indonesia)
Sender: ajplumbe at bradford.ac.uk
To: alanhowes at usaksa.com, howesap at saptco.com.sa
Cc: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org

Alan,

Re. Malang PT, I think you will find ocek is usually spelt ojek. It
is a motorcycle taxi where the passenger hires the back seat. Ojeks
cluster at road junctions especially to provide local feeder
services to other forms of public transport such as bemos (small
minibuses), colts and various larger buses. They compete directly with
becaks (bicycle-taxis for 2-3 pax) and have seen much increase in
numbers with the post 1998 'monetary crisis'. Basically they are young
men with access to a motorcycle and are otherwise unemployed. There may
be a few 6-8 seat horse drawn passenger carrying carts operating short
distances like bemos still left in Malang - may be called andong or
another name in East Java. If you need other input in Malang, let me
know. I did some PT investigations in Surabaya in 1995-6.

Tony Plumbe

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:01:19 +0300 Alan P Howes <howesap at saptco.com.sa>
wrote:

> Fatima Mansions? Who They?
>
> Anyway, I will try to dig out my Jonathon Ross quote that I used to put in
> my sig in the good old days of Usenet. (Access to which I am now denied -
> and anyway it's got rather flaky.)
>
> Something like "No man should be allowed behind the wheel of a car until he
> is old enough to appreciate a fine cigar, a glass of port, and the company
> of a woman who does not look like Pamela Anderson". (I _have_ heard of her.)
> In fact, I think that's pretty close to the original. Class of alcohol may
> be wrong.
>
> BTW, I may well be doing some work in the heart of SUSTRAN territory
> shortly. Sorting out buses in Malang, Java, starting November. About 8
> weeks, but yet to be confirmed. I've dug through the Sustran archive, but
> would welcome any other offers of advice (Paul?). For a start, what is an
> ocek? (Not mentioned in Lonely Planet!) Oops! Found it. Motorbike-taxi. But
> there must be plenty else I need to learn.
>
> Cheers, Alan.

----------------------
A. J. Plumbe,
Director, Outside Programmes,
Co-ordinator M.Sc. in Project Planning and Management,
email: a.j.plumbe at bradford.ac.uk
Fax: International: +44-1274-235280
     Domestic     : 01274-235280
Phone: International : +44-1274-235264