[sustran] Re: New column: "Freak accidents"

ganant at vsnl.com ganant at vsnl.com
Tue Oct 17 13:42:50 JST 2000

Paul:

> New column: "Freak accidents"

Excellent.  I quite see the point about "freak" accidents which many newspapers continue to use (mine included).  I am sending your piece to our correspondent covering crime/traffic.  Six thousand people killed in a year is ghastly.  Whatever be our population size, India's tally of about 60,000 dead and countless maimed is nothing short of an annual calamity.  But then, as you say, it is seen as an inevitable price paid for progress - winners of the death lottery.

Best

Anant