[sustran] fwd: (long) World Bank Policy on Information Disclosure

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Sun Nov 12 13:01:36 JST 2000

Here follows information on another WB policy review that will be of
interest to some on this list. This is another one, in addition to the
ongoing urban transport policy review.
Paul

>Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:32:31 -0500
>To: sustran at po.jaring.my
>From: Bryan Hantman <interns at bicusa.org>
>Subject: World Bank Policy on Information Disclosure
>
>As you may know, the World Bank is in the process of reviewing its Policy
on Information Disclosure and has begun consulting civil society on the
proposed changes. We are writing to encourage you to express your support
for greater access to information at the World Bank by endorsing the
"Global Call for Greater Transparency at the World Bank" (see the letter
below). We also hope that you will get involved the debate and
consultations concerning this crucial policy. Below, in the "What you can
do" section, you will find some suggestions on how you might get involved.

>The information policy is relevant to almost every aspect of every area in
which the World Bank works. Whether your interest is a particular project
that is affecting a given community or policy issues related to the
environment, gender or macro-economics, you cannot participate without
information.

>The Bank's information policy also has significance far beyond its own
work. Greater openness at the Bank will influence the practices of other
international agencies and governments. Even if you do not work directly on
World Bank issues, greater transparency is in the general interest of all
those who advocate for open and participatory decision-making and
institutions.

>Unfortunately, the changes that the Bank is proposing to the information
policy are very modest and do not go far enough in addressing the urgent
need for greater transparency and participation. Significant pressure from
organizations around the world will be needed in order to improve the
policy. It is particularly important that people put pressure on their
Executive Director (each country has an Executive Director representing
them) at the World Bank, and sign the "Global Call for Greater Transparency
at the World Bank".

>Below are some specific actions that people can take to get involved in
this important struggle, including a copy of the global sign-on letter.
Some of these actions will not require very much of your time but could be
important in demonstrating civil society's overwhelming agreement on the
importance of greater transparency in international institutions. Please
also pass this email on to other organizations that might be willing to
make their voice heard on this important issue.

>While there are a number of organizations around the world that are
working on this issue, if you would like further information from the Bank
Information Center, please contact Graham Saul (gsaul at bicusa.org - fax:
202-737-1155 or by phone 202-624-0626). Graham will be happy to answer any
questions that you have. You can also find more information on our website
at: www.bicusa.org

>I'm looking forward to working with your organization on this issue,
>
>Bryan Hantman

>Here is what you can do:
>There are many ways in which you can become involved in expressing your
opinion about transparency at the World Bank. Here are a few suggestions:

>I. Sign The Global Call for Greater Transparency at the World Bank:
>Add your organization's name to the hundreds of others around the world,
who are calling on the World Bank to improve their information policy (see
below). The "Global Call" is available in French, Spanish and English at
<www.bicusa.org/action> .

>II. Participate in Bank organized consultations:
>On September 28, the World Bank launched its consultations with civil
society organizations during its Annual General Meetings in Prague. The
English, Spanish and French language versions of the proposed, new policy
are now available on the Bank's website:
http://www.worldbank.org/html/pic/disclosure/.  Translations into Arabic,
Russian and Chinese will be posted as soon as they are available. Printed
copies of the policy can be obtained through a local World Bank
Office/Public Information Center or by contacting the disclosure policy
staff at the World Bank. The Bank will be carrying out consultations in
every region in which it operates. We hope that you will choose to attend.

>For information about the regional consultations either contact us for
specific locations and dates or contact the Bank directly by using the
contact information below.

>Contact information for Bank officials responsible for this policy:
>Tel: 202-473-8064
>Fax: 202-522-3381
>Eml: disclosure at worldbank.org
>Disclosure Policy
>Room U 11-003
>World Bank
>1818 H Street, N.W.
>Washington DC 20433
>USA
>
>III. Contact your Executive Director:
>Your Executive Director is your representative within the World Bank and
will ultimately participate in approving the final policy. It is important
that they know how you feel about this issue. Ask them what their position
is and share your view with them. To find out how to contact your Executive
Director, visit our website at:  http://www.bicusa.org/policy/execdir.htm

>IV. Contact the World Bank:
>This is the first time since 1993 that the public has had the opportunity
to improve this policy. It is important that individuals and organizations
read the paper and send comments to the Bank. The Bank will synthesize all
comments, along with their responses, and present them to the Board of
Executive Directors during the final debate. It is therefore important that
they hear from a wide range of sources. We also encourage you to raise your
own concerns directly with the Bank.

>V. Ask other organizations in your country to get involved:
>Transparency benefits all citizens and their organizations, including
labour unions, religious organizations, student and academic associations
and even parts of the government, that are often excluded from the World
Bank's decision making process.

>To link to the Bank Information Center's initial analysis on the draft
information disclosure policy, go to www.bicusa.org/action/analysis. We
hope that you will find this useful when participating in consultations
with the Bank. Keep in mind, however, that it is critically important to
make your views known to your Executive Director. While the Bank itself
still argues for secrecy, an even greater challenge appears to be at the
Board level where a few powerful countries have vehemently opposed greater
public disclosure and public engagement in development decisions.

>Graham Saul of the Bank Information Center is available to answer any
questions that may arise in this process. He can be reached at
gsaul at bicusa.org or by fax at 202-737-1155.

the Bank Information Center - <gsaul at bicusa.org> , Fax: 202-737-1155.

>Global Call for Greater Transparency at the World Bank
>

>Ms. Joanne Salop
>Vice President
>Operations Policy and Strategy
>1818 H Street N.W.
>Washington D.C. 20008
>
>Dear Ms. Salop,
>
>We are writing to express our support for transparency in the largest
development institution in the world and to express our concerns about the
World Bank's proposed information disclosure policy. The World Bank’s
increasing emphasis on participation and ‘ownership’ in the past few years
is a welcome acknowledgement of the central role that development must
accord to the very people whose economic lives are to be developed. We
believe that the Bank’s information policy must reflect commitment to and
trust in the principles and promises of full popular participation.

>A fundamental norm of participation, partnership and ownership is consent
of the partners and those invited to participate. Consent is meaningless
unless it is informed. At the World Bank, the information disclosure policy
is the single most effective enabler toward development effectiveness and
partnership goals. We believe there is a direct relationship between the
implementation of the information disclosure policy and the ability and
willingness of the public to be engaged in Bank activities.  Furthermore,
the information disclosure policy has allowed interested members of the
public to monitor the outcomes of specific investments and has in part
helped to assure that benefits reach the intended beneficiaries.

>In this new century, and with the accelerated pace of globalization the
IDA Deputies and the G7 have recognized the need for more transparency at
the international level. While it was not entirely voluntary, the Bank is
to be commended for taking a first step toward transparency at the
international level through this review of the 1993 information disclosure
policy. With modern technology and an accelerated pace of change affecting
even the most remote communities, information is one of the very few tools
available to the poor and the public at large that allows civil society to
both understand and prepare for change.  Transparency is an empowerment
tool for the poor.

>The draft information disclosure policy moves toward greater disclosure
and as such is welcomed.  There are, however, crippling limitations to the
policy that must be addressed if the Bank is to foster an inclusive
development model and achieve greater development effectiveness. In its
current form, the policy falls far short of enabling partnership and
participation. Whole categories of important information continue to be
withheld from the public, including all information pertaining to
structural adjustment and sectoral adjustment loans  the lending that
currently makes up the bulk of the Bank’s portfolio. Disappointingly,
within the policy it appears that the Board of Executive Directors is not
prepared to embrace basic good governance practices that begin with
information disclosure. With this letter we argue for the release of:
>·       all Country Assistance Strategies;
>·       the President’s Report, Tranche Release Memorandum and project
documentation relating to structural adjustment and sectoral adjustment;
>·       aide memoires, project status reports, policy papers and country
policy and institutional assessments;
>·       Board Minutes or the summaries of Board discussions that relate to
project and adjustment lending.

>Limitations in the New Policy
>
>The World Bank continues to withhold some Country Assistance Strategies
from the public even though the public is increasingly asked both to
participate in the development of this strategy and work with the Bank in
its implementation. The inconsistency in this process should be rectified.
Development is not an exclusive process, but requires multiple stakeholders
to be engaged in order to be successful. The World Bank cannot expect
support from donors, the poor, other development agencies or even broad
borrowing country governmental support if its basic strategy for
development success is not made known to the public. Currently there are
two sets of standards: an open and transparent standard for poor countries
and a closed and secret standard for middle income countries. We are aware
of the concerns expressed by many countries regarding the availability of
the CAS. The CAS, however, according to your own website, is a Bank owned
document.  As such, it is both the right and the responsibility of the
World Bank to disclose this document.  Failure to disclose the overall plan
for the Bank's operations in any given country mocks the presumption in
favor of disclosure that underpins the information disclosure policy.

>Macroeconomic Information
>
>We are deeply disappointed by the lack of progress on disclosing documents
relating to structural adjustment lending. The current proposal will simply
affirm existing practice of allowing a country to make information
available at its own discretion.

>In Fiscal Year 1999, 63% of the World Bank’s lending operations consisted
of policy-based lending (such as structural or sectoral adjustment
lending). No documentation has been made available to illuminate the goals,
the implementation or the outcomes of these loans. Under the proposed
information policy the public will continue to be effectively excluded from
participation in the bulk of the World Bank’s lending operations. Popular
participation is increasingly seen as an effective way in which to foster
ownership within a borrowing country. Without the basic documentation,
citizens cannot be expected to participate in the development,
implementation or monitoring of these lending operations.

>Structural adjustment is viewed as one of the key ways in which the World
Bank is engaged in globalization  a contested issue that has sparked
massive protests around the world. The failure to release material related
to structural adjustment will impede the public’s understanding of the Bank
and fosters suspicion around the Bank's role in globalization. While the
Bank has attempted to rectify the lack of openness on SAPs with a
consultative process for the creation of the Poverty Reduction Strategy
Paper (PRSP), the two remain quite different instruments. One is a broad
planning instrument and the other is an actual loan. Without access to the
loan process it remains impossible for the public to track the
implementation of the broad policy goals outlined in the PRSP.

>SAPs are often negotiated in a very narrow discussion that excludes
relevant ministries and parliamentarians. Nevertheless, parliaments are
often asked to approve the loans without access to the basic documentation
and ministries are expected to implement the loans. In 1999, in Brazil, the
parliament could only obtain a leaked copy of important information around
specific proposed investments. Public decisions undertaken in the absence
of full information often fail in the implementation stage in large part
because the goals are not fully agreed upon or well understood. The
development effectiveness would be greatly enhanced by public debate and
broad governmental participation.  In order to increase development
effectiveness the President’s report, tranche release memorandum and
project documentation relating to structural adjustment and sectoral
adjustment loans should be released. The half-step outlined in the draft
policy would only codify what is now existing practice.  More importantly,
the proposal blurs the line of responsibility between Bank and Borrower. It
places the onus on the borrower to both take a decision about Bank
generated documents and to undertake the responsibility for distribution.
Again in the case of macroeconomic information, the Bank has made a
proposal that is not in line with the presumption in favor of disclosure.

>Fostering Participation
>
>Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the proposed new policy is the
argument that many documents cannot be released because disclosure would
impede 'the deliberative process.' This argument is unsubstantiated within
the policy and contradicts the Bank's espoused goals of participation and
partnership.  Neither goal can be achieved without timely information
disclosure. Disclosure after a decision has been taken does not foster
ownership and cannot be expected to satisfy public demands to participate
in development decisions. Meaningful "participation" requires access to
documents while they are still relevant to the "deliberative process," not
AFTER final decisions are made.

>The Bank should release aide memoires, project status reports, policy
papers and country policy and institutional assessments precisely because
they inform the deliberative process.

>In its new policy the Bank argues that draft project appraisal documents
(PADs) do not need to be released because relevant information is already
available through the project information documents (PIDs). This argument
does not stand up under close scrutiny. Draft PADs include detailed
information that is normally not included in PIDs such as:  the results of
public consultation (in Category A projects), key performance indicators,
project alternatives that have been considered, the value added of Bank
support, the effectiveness conditions, technical information such as maps
that actually lay out the proposed affected area, and a list of other
technical documents produced for the project. Effective stakeholder
participation in the project cycle requires that the Bank either release
Draft PADs or radically improve and more regularly update the composition
of PIDs.

>The policy also fails to address the issue of getting information
especially project information into the hands of directly  affected people.
In particular, the policy does not address the issue of translating key
documents, including the safeguard policies. The fact that the draft policy
identifies ‘excessive cost or logistics’ as a reason for non-disclosure is
troubling because it appears to provide an excuse for not getting
information into the hands of the most directly concerned.

>Governance and the Board
>
>Over the past two years in response to shareholder and public concerns
about quality and compliance issues the Bank has created two instruments to
help improve both the quality of loans and the compliance rates with
safeguard policies. These are the Quality Assurance Group and the Quality
and Compliance Unit. The new policy notes that the materials generated from
these review units will not be made available to the Board or the public.
The very idea that the findings of units that have been established in
direct response to shareholder and stakeholder demands are not to be
disclosed to the Board or other stakeholders is disturbing. In the new
policy, no rationale is given for the non-disclosure of QAG's periodic
synthesis reports. There is no excuse for the Bank not to disclose this
information.

>The findings of these units could be very helpful to the Board in its
oversight role as they pinpoint problems in specific investments and in
broader areas like monitoring and supervision. Through the Inspection Panel
process the Board increasingly is confronted with problems that are also
identified through the QAG and QACU. Early Board awareness could lead to
more timely solutions and an avoidance of Inspection claims. If these
materials were to be released to the public it would also help to improve
development effectiveness. The Operations Evaluations Department and your
own team have on separate occasions noted that the public spotlight has
already proven to be one of the best incentives to persuade Bank personnel
to administer projects more effectively.

>Lastly, we are very concerned about the Board’s lack of transparency. The
World Bank has determined that good governance is an important component
for development effectiveness. One of the defining criteria of good
governance is transparency. It is ironic that the Board of Executive
Directors would approve a condition for borrowing country governments that
it is not willing to embrace in its own operations, i.e. that of
transparency. Transparency in the Board would be enhanced by the disclosure
of Board Minutes or the summaries of Board discussions that relate to
project and adjustment lending, along with the proposed Chairman’s
Summaries.  It is contradictory for the Board to require and encourage
borrowing countries to govern in the sunshine when it continues to labor in
the dark.

>We appreciate the opportunity to share our view with you.  We look forward
to a revised policy that fosters transparency and empowerment for the poor.

>To endorse this letter, send an email or fax to Graham Saul at the Bank
Information Center - <gsaul at bicusa.org> , Fax: 202-737-1155.

>::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>Bryan Hantman
>interns at bicusa.org
><><><><><><><><><>
>Bank Information Center
>733 15th Street, NW
>Suite 1126
>Washington, DC 20005
><><><><><><><><><>
>phone: 202-737-7752
>fax: 202-737-1155
>
>The Bank Information Center (BIC) is an independent, non-profit,
non-governmental organization that provides information and strategic
support to NGOs and social movements throughout the world on the projects,
policies and practices of the World Bank and other Multilateral Development
Banks (MDBs).  BIC advocates for greater transparency, accountability and
citizen participation at the MDBs.

>BIC’s Mission is to empower citizens in developing countries to influence
MDB financed development projects and policies in a manner that fosters
social justice and ecological responsibility.  BIC aims to democratize the
International Financial Institutions to ensure citizen participation,
information disclosure, full adherence to environmental and social policies
and public accountability.