[sustran] Automobile Use in Chinese Cities

Mark Diesendorf Mark.Diesendorf at uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 6 08:55:37 JST 2000

Dear Jean-Francois Doulet and Sustran list members,

Together with partners in the Chinese Academy of Sciences, I am
trying to set up a project to bring automobile use in a Chinese city
under some control. The method would involve least-cost planning,
automobile demand management,  protection and enhancement of
infrastructure for bicycles and walking, and improved public
transport. However, the project is stalled temporarily until we can
find some external funding.

In answer to your question, based on recent visits to only 4 Chinese
cities + Hong Kong, I would respond: No, it is not too late, but the
costs of providing more sustainable urban transport systems will
increase, the longer the Chinese wait. Shanghai's plan  to greatly
expand its metro and to build several light rail lines is a step in
the right direction, although there appears to be no plan to improve
conditions for for cyclists.

Incidentally, I am also concerned because the high levels of air
pollution in China, mainly from motor vehicles and coal burning, will
undermine the prospects for the greater use of solar  energy, thus
further increasing China's future greenhouse impact.

  Jean-Francois , I would be interested in receiving some of your
papers please. I read a little French.

Regards,

Mark Diesendorf

>Dear all,
>
>As a doctoral student, I have been working for 6 years on urban
>mobility in big Chinese cities. My research focuses on the impact of
>a rapidly increasing motorisation process (13 to 15% a year). Today,
>I am about to finish the writing of my PhD dissertation which
>highlights the shifting from bicycle-based mobility to
>automobile-based mobility in Beijing.
>
>With about 1.3 million automobile vehicles, the Beijing municipality
>accounts for 10% of the total Chinese domestic fleet. The pressure
>of an increasing number of cars on the streets forces the municipal
>authorities to make drastic choices often at the expense of the
>stability of the still working bicycle-based transport system. The
>growing influence of a new environmental-based policy for better air
>quality somewhat undermines pro-automobile policies. However, the
>use of cars is facilitated by a changing urban structure and
>automobile friendly road infrastructures.
>
>In order to stay aware of the professional community point of view,
>I would be very pleased to receive some of your comments about the
>Chinese case regarding motorisation process. My question is : Do you
>think that China has missed the opportunity to create an original
>worldwide experience of a dual based transport system
>(bicycle/automobile)?
>
>Upon request, I would be very happy to send a copy of one of my papers:
>
>- in french :
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "Structure urbaine et mobilite en Chine : l'espace
>bicyclette en question" (Urban Structure and Mobility in China:
>Bicycle Space at Stake), Transports Urbains (Urban Transports), 83
>(1994): 17-26. Paper quoted in World Bank, Sustainable Transport,
>Washington D.C.: World Bank, 1996.
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "Espace urbain, mobilite et developpement de la
>voiture en Chine" (Urban Space, Mobility and Automobile Development
>in China) in Figueroa, O., Godard, X., and Henry, E, eds., Mobilite
>et politiques de transport dans les villes en developpement
>(Mobility and Transport Policies in Developing Cities), Actes
>INRETS, 55 (1997): 185-197.
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "L'automobile dans la recomposition de l'espace
>urbain chinois" (The Automobile in the Recomposition of Chinese
>Urban Space), Bulletin de l'Association de Geographes Francais
>(Journal of the Association of French Geographers), 1 (1999): 44-58.
>
>- in english:
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "The Urban Challenges of Automobile Development in
>China", FISITA World Automotive Congress 1998, Paris: September
>27-October 1, 1998.
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "Suburbia on the Move. Beijing Fast-Tracks Northern
>Commuter Line", China Infrastructure Newsletter, September 1998: 5-6.
>
>- in chinese:
>
>Doulet, J.-F., "Zhongguo Qiche Fazhan Tiaozhan Chengshi" (The
>Automobile Development in China Challenges Cities), Qiche yu Shehui
>(Automobile and Society), October 1998: 12-16.

> [...]

Mark Diesendorf, PhD
Professor of Environmental Science
and Director, Institute for Sustainable Futures
University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, Australia

email: Mark.Diesendorf at uts.edu.au
Web: http://www.isf.uts.edu.au

phone: +61 2 9209 4350 (ISF administration);  +61 2 9209 4353 (direct)
fax:   +61 2 9209 4351