[sustran] Re: Banning NMT (Rickshaw) on roads of Dhaka city

Dr Kh Zahidul Hoque zahidul at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 12:55:53 JST 2000

Alok Jain Wrote:

>All the more reason to promote NMT. Densely built areas are particularly
>adaptive to NMT. And I am surprised to see no mention of public transport /
>modal shift in any of the suggestions.
>
>Alok Jain
>Hong Kong

I am very much interested to know space constraints along the roads are
particularly adaptive to NMT. While the city roads are so narrow that it
cannot accommodate existing vehicles and hardly there is any spare
land/space for an expansion or additional lane, how an exclusive lane for
NMT could be justified?

Public transport/modal shift will definitely come in for detail study. Of
course, when you ban NMT on the major roads, there should be sufficient
public tarnsport to facilitate modal shift from those NMT.

K Z Hoque
Singapore