[sustran] Re: integration of public transport thoughts

Naziaty Yaacob naziaty at alambina.um.edu.my
Tue May 23 16:13:31 JST 2000

Dear Paul,

Automatic integration, as I see it is the availability of having a low
cost transfer to immediately go where you want to go. When I think of
it, I am appalled that once when I was in Penang in the early 70s,
getting around was so cheap by trishaws. The trishaw puller is respected
[now, they are regarded as drug addicts..]. It was an alternative mode
of transport for me to ply from my house at Island Park to Convent Green
Lane. Quite some distance away. It was cheap and accessible. [As you
know I am a crutch user].
There was a personalised service where trishaw was concerned. The
trishaw puller had a regular clientele and he was proud of his trishaw.
But now, the trishaws are only relegated to the inner city area of
Georgetown. The suburbs like Island Park, Island Glades are too
dangerous for trishaws to ply. Even in the Inner City, its too dangerous
as recently when I ride from Armenian Street to KOMTAR, the trishaw man
would rather ply against the traffic flow, rather than follow the one
way system traffic.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts.