[sustran] Re: integration of public transport thoughts

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri May 19 23:10:05 JST 2000

Paul,

It is well known amongst transit planners that when frequencies are
high on connecting or crossing lines, little effort has to be made
to coordinate services, but the term "automatic integration" is one
I have not heard before. But you might be understating the importance
of joint fares as to how much connecting will actually take place. For
example, I suspect that the new Bangkok elevated rail line will be
underutilized, as the combined fare to use it as well as additional fares
on crossing routes will be unaffordable to the masses.

One issue that is also important in "integration": redistributing
capacity. If one can get excess capacity on some routes to be redeployed
to other routes, there is no increase in total network costs, but a major
improvement in service. The deregulation in the UK showed what happens
when capacity is not managed -- ridership plummeted. Major routes had
capacity increases as several operators vyed for the same passengers while
connecting routes had service cuts. The lack of connection (and
the lack of joint fares if the operators are different) caused most of
the ridership losses. A related contributing factor was the lack of user
information and instability due a non-integrated system.

A similar thing has been seen in the US along the Northeast Corridor. As
fares increased dramatically on Amtrak, additional capacity from buses was
attracted, as the poor were priced off of the trains. Now we have the
absurd situation where the only place in the US where there is excellent
train service also has very heavy parallel bus services. Yet, connections
by bus from cities not along the Northeast Corridor are almost
non-existent. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the buses as connectors
and find a pricing policy that allows the trains to carry the lower income
people?

Eric Bruun