[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

Mohsin J. Sarker t9802 at cc.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Thu Mar 30 12:11:09 JST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Dizon" <aldizon at pacific.net.sg>
To: <sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 12:21 PM
Subject: [sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

> Highways aren't built to solve congestion problem

I think it is not true 100%. In some cases highways's are built to solve
congestion problem. For example the bypasses of cities are built to reduce
the raffic through the city.

> Lest we forget: public policy demands that roads are built to facilitate
the
> movement of trade and commerce, and thus enable businessess, people and
> communities to carry out their business activities.

Yes, it is right. But is it essential to have automobile dominanted roads to
enable businessess, movement of trade and commerce ? I don't think so. We
can do all the things by well integrated alternative transport modes and by
essential road facilities for them.

Mohsin J. Sarker
Ph,D, Candidate
Regional Planning