[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

Mohsin J. Sarker t9802 at cc.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Thu Mar 30 09:19:43 JST 2000

I did a research on the topic "Gap Between Demand and Supply of Auto-related
Road Infrastructure and Urban Characteristics". I used the data of various
Japanese cities and got significant relation between this gap and modal
shares. We defined a gap index as the ratio of demand and supply of auto
related road infrastructure. The result shows that at high gap index, there
is higher public transport share and lower automobile share. On the other
hand, there is low public transport share and higher automobile share at low
gap index. So if we continue to make automobile more convenient by
constructing or providing more auto-related facilities, then number of
automobile will continue to increase simultaneously. Most interesting point
is that in Japan, even after ensuring large tax revenues for road
development, the increasing rate of automobile always surpassed the rate of
road development. I think, this is not the case of Japan only, but also of
other countries all over the world.

Mohsin J. Sarker
Ph,D, Candidate
Regional Planning