[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

roberto evangelio rocae at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:27:33 JST 2000

Debi and Eric,

>Yes, that kind of scheme had been tried in hundreds of places, though I for
>one have never liked them. It is not that they are impossible, but rather
>that out there on the streets of the real world they are complicated to
>implement, hard to enforce, tend to be unjust, the police really don't like
>them, and usually encounter considerable public and media opposition.

In the case of the Philippines, once the public has accepted the scheme,
people began to adjust their daily routine. So once a week they have to
leave their home early to be in the office by 7 am and leave at night after
7:00 pm. This scheme addresses traffic congestion by forcing motorist to
adjust their travel schedule. But i think, there was really no big reduction
of vehicles on the road.

People are now used to the scheme and, at present I never heard of any
complaints/opposition on this.

obet