[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

Mohsin J. Sarker t9802 at cc.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 29 10:10:58 JST 2000

Hi there

I agree that promoting public transport is a effective mean of reducing the
no. of car. But under certain situation. We all know that automobile is such
a transportation mode that no other mode can provide such
utility/convenience to user. Under this characteristics of automobile, if we
continue to improve transportation infrastructure or systems related to both
automobile and public transport in parallel, then I think, there will be no
reduction of car use. My suggestion in this regard, we should impose gap
between demand and supply of auto-related infrastructure or system, while
improving public transportation system. What do you think ? Is my idea
absurd or strange ?

Personally I do not like such TDM measures to reduce automobile use which
causes social inequality. Congestion pricing, road pricing, higher gasoline
tax may reduce automobile use, but will cause social inequality. In the
above sentence, I used the word 'may', because in high income country, if
everybody is able to pay the money of such pricing, then such TDM measures
will not be effective. In developing countries or in the countries where
both high and low income people live, such TDM measures will cause social
inequality by facilitating high income people to use automobile more & more
conveniently by forcing low income people to choose alternative transport
modes. I think, we should look for such TDM measures which will not cause
social inequality. About one of them I discussed in above paragraph. Other
may restricting odd & even number vehicle, but there are lot of arguments on
it.

So, do you know any other TDM measures which will not cause social
inequality but will reduce automobile use? Lets have a discussion on this
point.

Mohsin J. Sarker
Ph,D, Candidate
Regional Planning