[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

Ronaldo R. Manahan dojie at transportas.com.ph
Wed Mar 29 06:55:44 JST 2000

Dear Debi:

>From Eric's reply...

>Note: Our friends in Manila ....

>For more on that check out http://www.mmda.gov.ph/traffic.html.

Aside from that page, don't forget to check out the Saturday scheme also
being implemented since February 1999 (http://www.mmda.gov.ph/traffic.html).

The question lingering in my mind is that, through several years of
implementation, are these schemes still achieving their intended benefits?
There has been a number of papers written about the case in Mexico City and
why it was a failure.  I think the problem in Manila is that there is no
coordination between government agencies promoting more vehicle sales and
agencies trying to restrain their use.

These types of TDM measures probably work only for a very short period of
implementation.  One cannot continue to apply short term programs over the
long term, hoping to replicate the objectives.

Best regards,
Dojie Manahan
Transportas
Quezon City, Philippines