[sustran] Reducing number of cars on the road

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Mar 28 17:29:56 JST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: eric.britton at ecoplan.org [mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org]
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2000 6:06 PM
To: Debi Goenka
Subject: Reducing number of cars on the road

Dar Debi Goenka,

Yes, that kind of scheme had been tried in hundreds of places, though I for
one have never liked them. It is not that they are impossible, but rather
that out there on the streets of the real world they are complicated to
implement, hard to enforce, tend to be unjust, the police really don't like
them, and usually encounter considerable public and media opposition. I have
often claimed that it's about the worst way to go about reducing traffic in
cities - and I guess that's why so many places keep insisting on trying.  It
all sounds logical enough - but hey!, whoever said the life was logical?

But what about this?  Why don't you post your questions to the SUSTRAN list
at sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org and see what the others have to day.  You
should get a good and useful range of responses.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

ecopl at n ___  technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org     URL www.ecoplan.org
Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)