[sustran] Re: News Flash #37: Transport in the 'Global South'

Rajendra Aryal rajendra.aryal at undp.org
Fri Mar 24 21:02:18 JST 2000

Dear Sustran members,

I do agree what Jain Alok syas about Kathmandu. That is true that the river is
polluted, haphazard rapid urbanisation has taken place and the living conditions
have rapidly deteriorated in past few years. However, the situation is not
absolutely dark. There are of course some positive developments as well. Just
after the restoration of democracy in 1991 a decision was made to bring diesel
tempos (three wheelers) into the valley which worsened the quality of air. The
government has completely banned the diesel three-wheelers. Nowadays the city
only allows either battery-operated three-wheelers, so called "Safa Tempo (Clean
Tempo)" or LPG-operated three-wheelers. Micro buses meeting the Euro-I standard
are still foreseen. Elimination of those diesel three wheelers has substantially
helped improve the quality of air in the valley.

There are however still the old vehicles, as Alok has rightly pointed out plying
over the city roads. In the month of February 2000, the government has made
certain decisions, the abstract of which I would like to illustrate below. These
steps would obviously hep control the emission produced by such old vehicles.

1. Vehicles considered useless by Government Agencies, Corporations and
Diplomatic Missions are sold at auction. In view of the problems of pollution
induced by such vehicles, new registration and trasfer of ownership of such
vehicles will be banned in Bagmati Zone (the zone where major cities including
Kathmandu is) with immediate effect. Similarly, registration and transfer of
ownership of the auctioned vehicles which are 20 years old will be completely
banned.

Registration and transfer of ownership of the auctioned vehicles (which are less
than 20 years old) will be done in other zones on condition that they will not
be operated in Bagmati Zone.

2. Vehicles operating in Kathmandu Valley owned by Government Agencies,
Corporations and Diplomatic Missions must comply with the Mass Emission
Satndards specified by the government from time to time. However, those vehicles
not complying with emission standards will be allowed to go to the garage and
workshop for repair and maintenance with permission from the concerned authority
of the government.

Concerned authority of the government shall also monitor the condition of all
vehicles and ensure their proper repair and maintenance to meet the required
emission standards and carry certificates therof.

All vehicles operating in the valley must obtain a sticker certifying their
compliance with the Mass Emission Standards.

Stickers are introduced few years back. But there are still open questions. How
far would the government be able to enforce such measures and how far do the
concerned public as well as instituions cooperate?

Still, I feel the steps taken by the government as positive, the effects of
which are still to be observed.

As far as the question on making Kathmandu again a "walking city" it may not be
feasible at this stage. However, while looking at the narrow streets and
increasing number of vehicles on the street thereby induced long traffic jams
during the day, I personally feel that at certain point the people may have to
realize it and try to come back to what they had in the past.

Regards.