[sustran] Re: Negative thoughts on metro

Shrestha, Kishor kishor.shrestha at ic.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 20:26:47 JST 2000

I have a view that the feasibility of a metro system depends on the city's
characteristics and
inestement potential provided the population density is high and the city is
comparatively larger.
Even then the political will comes first before any engineers debate on it.
Heavy rail becoming nowadays replaced by the popular LRT or old electric
tram system.
For a relatively densed population the LRT network may prove better than
heavy rail in terms of frequency and
station interval and networking with other modes of transport. So one cannot
stay on one side for or anti-metro.
There are many factors to be considered before we accept the metro proposal
or reject it.
Operation and mainteannce, governement subsidies, privatisation, technology
factors may be a part of constraints in many cities.
Hence, I would rather go for a suitable general criteria to formulate for
the cities geographically spread over the world regarding rail system.