[sustran] Re: LPG and CNG

Environment Support Group esg at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Wed Mar 15 13:44:41 JST 2000

Debi,

Yes indeed.  When I enquired over a year ago, the offer was that in case I
did not have a cylinder to spare for use in the car (LPG for kitchen use is
still a luxury), then the entrepreneur would get me a cylinder in the
"black market".  Refill services, are also pretty well organised for a
premium.  There are also other types of cylinders of smaller capacity
(normal kitchen use is 14 kilos) that I have seen used, esp in
autorickshaws, but I am not sure if they were specifically designed for
such use (likely not).

Incidentally, a Special Bench of the Karnataka High consisting of five
judges passed judgement yesterday on the 56 suo moto orders issued over the
past 2-3 years by Justice Saldanha.  The High Court struck down all of
them.... with the caveat that upon those orders that the Government has
initiated action, such actions would not be reversed.

One of the orders issued by J Saldanha directed all autorickshaws in
Bangalore (approx. 35,000) should be converted to operate on LPG.  On this
the High Court has commented that such is a matter of policy and the Single
Judge's order could not be sustained as the "ends do not justify the means".

Leo Saldanha
At 07:33 AM 3/15/00 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Leo
>is the use of domestic LPG cylinder for automobile use
>allowed in Karnataka?
>if so, this is extremely dangerous.
>safety standards mandate that like CNG tanks, LPG tanks
>should be fixed to the vehicle, and should be refilled at
>special LPG filling stations.
>Debi
>--

Environment Support Group (R)