[sustran] Re: LPG and CNG

Environment Support Group esg at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Tue Mar 14 19:56:07 JST 2000

The use of LPG in private cars and autorickshaws has increased
quite a bit in the past two years in Bangalore, a city with dense
traffic movement, where almost 70% of the 6 million vehicles that
ply are two wheelers, and about 20% are private cars.  Such use
became very popular as the running costs were claimed to be a third that of
petrol
(costing Rs. 30/litre: Rs. 44 = $1) and a LPG cylinder that is
meant for kitchen use could be mounted in the vehicles.

Small entrepreneurs took to this in a very big way
and provided a device that allows for use of both fuels and switchover
when needed.  The cost for this device which initially was about Rs. 12000
has come down to half its price due to competition, and conversion
services springing up all over the city.

About 2 years ago, claiming LPG to be an environmentally benign
fuel in an highly polluted city, a Judge of the High Court of
Karnataka, Justice Saldanha, passed suo  moto orders to convert
all petrol driven rickshaws to gas, but without any explanation of
how this was to be done.  This was immediately struck down by
the Chief Justice, as being without basis and rationale.  However,
the practice continued unabated, and presently some sources
claim over 20,000 conversions have taken place, of cars and
rickshaws.

When affected private entrepreneurs approached the Court to lift
the stay on J Saldanha's order, the opinion of the Karnataka
Transport Minister Sageer Ahmed was sought.  He argued the stay
must continue as the fuel, regardless of being environmentally
benign, was extremely hazardous for use in LMVs, and violative of
the Indian Motor Vehicle's Act.

The Indian Motor Vehicle's Act does not allow for use of LPG, and
in the event of accidents, insurance claim cannot be made by
vehicles using LPG.

In the past month alone we have had two very serious incidents
involving LPG based vehicles.  A car using LPG caught fire, but
thankfully on the city outskirts and during the night when traffic on the
road was sparse.  The owner initially claimed it was not run on LPG to
claim insurance cover, but on thorough examination, two cylinders were
found from the debris.  And just over a week ago, another car caught fire
in the very heart of the city during peak hour traffic.  The car was being
run on LPG, but at that time the driver claimed it was running on petrol.
Thankfully, a local bunk had fire fighting equipment that rescued those
present from a potentially disastrous situation.

If I am not mistaken, there is a task force appointed by the Central
Government following another accident that again took place in Bangalore
almost a year ago.  In this case a LPG run car started leaking gas, but
there was no fire.

Of critical safety concern is what are the risks associated with
such a high number of LPG run vehicles on densely crowded
streets of Bangalore.  The accident rate here is very high.  And
therefore the risks associated with such if indeed there is a high
velocity impact with an LPG run vehicle would also need to be
considered.

If any studies on such concerns are also available, in addition to
infomation.

Leo Saldanha
Environment Support Group